All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Starting a BJ40

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overlander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 13:01    Post subject: Starting a BJ40 Reply with quote

There seem to be more than one way of starting my newly acquired BJ40!

This is the way I worked out

1) Ensure 'engine stop' button is in
2) Open hand throttle
3) Press button on steering shroud, turn key to the left and then again a bit more, audible click and hold for 30 seconds.
4) Turn key to right, engine cranks, big puff of dirty (not black) smoke and starts, runs lumpy for about 30 seconds and then ticks over nicely. No more smoke from the exhaust on tickover or when running at 50-55mph. To stop engine pull 'engine stop' and switch off ignition.

Now, my mate picked up this vehicle for me and the PO told him that the starting procedure was to pump the engine stop button in and out several times and then crank the engine? At rest it sticks out of the dash about 3/4", press it in and it springs out. No mention of using the glow plugs.

There is also and EDIC control which I have not used as I understand it has 3 positions. Should it be pulled out to start and then pushed in after a few seconds? How do I determine whether it is working? I have read some confusing info about it indicating low oil pressure which I did not understand.

There does not appear to be an ignition light, the only indication that the ignition is switched on is that the fuel gauge needle moves. On firing up, the oil pressure needle rises to H, the ammeter needle moves and eventually I get a reading on the temperature gauge - it only moves a couple of mms, is this normal? I have noticed that the blue high beam indicator in the centre of the dash does not illuminate and there is nothing to show the glow plugs are operating - a wiring problem? - fuses seem ok.

Any advice appreciated, I'm a former Series Land Rover man!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 13:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

overlander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of views but not a single reply which is a bit disappointing. Come on guys I need some advice here!

john H

'76 BJ40
katsarata

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

I think we have something similar,  Turn key anti clockwise you should have a small round glow indicator to the right of the steering wheel (RHD) should take approx 15 secs to glow turn key to ignition and start it up.
The edic system should control all your fuel issues automatically, including over fuelling on start up and stopping the engine if it detects low oil pressure. If you have a stop cable fitted sounds like this has been disconnected.
Sounds like you need a new bulb for your high beam indicator.
Sounds like other gauges are working correctly.
Regards
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: