NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

First Post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ipaulog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:28    Post subject: First Post Reply with quote

I am trying hard to find a later Colorado. I have done a lot of searching but can't find information on servicing. I want to be informed so that I can check that important things that should have been done are recorded.
It will be a 3.0 diesel but I'm not sure what year engines changed during the series production run.
Google isn't always your friend!

Thanks for any pointers,
Paul.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the info is on the forums, look at the sticky at the top of this section, also use the search button on the header screen.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
ipaulog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
I have read the sticky information and I did several searches for example "service schedule". None of the results under 90 series have shown the information I'm looking for so far but I'll keep reading. Major service intervals - timing belt, tensioner, water pump would be a start but I haven 't come across any horror stories yet which is nice.
Hopefully I'll be able to share a bit more when I've bought one.
Cheers, Paul.
andy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page has a basic service sheet. http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/blog/land-cruiser-kzj90-kzj95-1996-2002-vehicle-specifications/
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
ipaulog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That's helpful to get started.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't obsess too much with the exact details of the SH - at this age just having some service history is a good point.  A light comes on on the dash when the cambelt is due.  You will probably want to baseline your new vehicle anyway (unless there is definite evidence of recent work) by changing all the oils and fluids, especially the engine oil and coolant.  Cambelt is a cheap job if needed

There's been a few buyer's advice threads in the past, but you'll have to search them out.  They tend to deal with the big three issues to watch out for, cylinder heads on the 1KZTE due to cooling system neglect, automatic gearbox damage due to radiator failure, and rust at the back axle and rear of the sills. Here's a handful to start with:

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=99377&highlight=#99377
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=99291&highlight=#99291
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15926&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Don't be scared off.  These are great trucks, built and designed really well, and generally better than almost anything else of comparable age and most have lots more life in them.  They are the last of the 'simple maintenance vehicles' in my opinion.  Yes, they have an ECU but on the 1KZTE it's about as sophisticated as a digital watch and I've never heard of them going wrong.  There is a lack of sophisticated systems like air suspension, traction control and cornering enhancement or what have you (some models don't even have ABS), that are just flashy future liabilities as far as I'm concerned.  But they are getting on a bit now and it would be unreasonable to expect perfect preservation.  (If you want a perfect 15-20 year old truck that requires almost no ongoing maintenance, save up for a G-Wagen - discuss!)
ipaulog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful.
I want a manual and the one I'll be viewing tomorrow with a view to buying has a 3.0 D4D 1KD-FTV engine.
Thanks a lot.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

(If you want a perfect 15-20 year old truck that requires almost no ongoing maintenance, save up for a G-Wagen - discuss!)[/quote]

Generally speaking yes, a G-Wagan does have a commendable reputation for longevity but the electrics are not as well shielded as Toyota resulting in serious corrosion on underbonnet relays etc. Also spare part prices make Toyota look positively cheap. Confused

Roger
diggerdave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, nice one Roger.  

It's a bold claim, but the evidence is mounting: LC90 = better than a G-wagen  Exclamation   Shocked
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Find an old G Wagon which isn't Rusty!

OK OK The Landcruisers Rust too, but I looked at some really really rusty G Wagons!  

I bought a 1KZTE 90 series, but always wondered if I should have gone for the Later D4D.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D4D will give you more power and better economy but the electronics are more numerous. Personally, having had a 3.2 Shogun for 112,000 miles, modern Japanese electronics don't worry me.

Roger
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHOGUN!!!!!!!!!!! LoL

I wasn't so concerned about the Electrics - more a case of fuel sensitivity etc - have to say I'm over 180K on the NON D4D and she purs like new, I have heard a couple of High Milage D4Ds which certainly have a 'Tick' to them already...
diggerdave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a bit scared off the more modern SHogun because of the reported fuel pump failures, but I admit I haven't looked into it all that closely.  I was also a little concerned that they'd be more difficult/expensive to lift.  Deffo on my list for potential replacement though if my lovely LC90 goes pop one day though.  However, like DaveWall, I've got 180k+ on my 1KZTE and enginewise all seems absolutely perfect, and the rest of it not bad considering!
RABENNETT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

my collie went to the scrappers at 360,000 and the 1kzte engine was sweet as a nut, one head change and regular oil changes was all it had, with mpg still around 30 to the gallon. Now on my second one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: