Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

80 series handbreak. sorry another handbreak issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fullonadventureltd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 19:17    Post subject: 80 series handbreak. sorry another handbreak issue. Reply with quote

My 1990 UK spec 4.2 TD,  80 series weights just under 3 tons due to 35 inch wheels, 4 inch raise and various extras.

So following problems with my 80 series handbreak, i ordered the 5mm longer strutt from australia. it didnt solve the problem.

Problem being handbreak adjusted to work, caused breaks to over heat due to rubbing, and when adjusted so they are not rubbing, the hand break just doesnt work.

OK so i know that basically the handbreaks on 80s are not very good, and i have read lots of post on the subject.

So i decided to address every aspect of the problem. I'm in process of fitting new handbreak cable, new drum/dics with new shoes, and new calipers and new pads.

I used a fitting kit to replace the rusty pins, springs etc.

I spend time getting the rusted up joint where the lever coming from handbreak cable to the shoes pivots at the end of the spring which attaches to the shoe.

I've ensured everything moves smoothly and pivots as it should.

I've ensured the star turn adjuster spacer is fully greased up and turnbing freely, and currently wound completely to it's shortest length.

But i used Milner shoes and milner drum/disk replacement  and the problem i have is that with the new shoes on and everything sitting as it should be, the drum/disk just will not fit over the shoes.

Has anyone else has that problem. Did you solve it with toyota shoes as i am concidering sending back the shoes, even though iv'e spent the time fitting them, and replacing with toyota ones. I checked the sizes of the milner disc/drum and it seems the same as my originals so the only thing i can think is that the new shoes are too thick?

Oh an i should mention i have tried putting the original stutt in again instead of the 5mm longer one, and the drum still will not fit on over the shoes.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 19:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

boxa55

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you backed off the adjuster ?
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 22:26    Post subject: Re: 80 series handbreak. sorry another handbreak issue. Reply with quote

fullonadventureltd wrote:
My 1990 UK spec 4.2 TD,  80 series weights just under 3 tons due to 35 inch wheels, 4 inch raise and various extras.

So following problems with my 80 series handbreak, i ordered the 5mm longer strutt from australia. it didnt solve the problem.

Problem being handbreak adjusted to work, caused breaks to over heat due to rubbing, and when adjusted so they are not rubbing, the hand break just doesnt work.

OK so i know that basically the handbreaks on 80s are not very good, and i have read lots of post on the subject.

So i decided to address every aspect of the problem. I'm in process of fitting new handbreak cable, new drum/dics with new shoes, and new calipers and new pads.

I used a fitting kit to replace the rusty pins, springs etc.

I spend time getting the rusted up joint where the lever coming from handbreak cable to the shoes pivots at the end of the spring which attaches to the shoe.

I've ensured everything moves smoothly and pivots as it should.

I've ensured the star turn adjuster spacer is fully greased up and turnbing freely, and currently wound completely to it's shortest length.

But i used Milner shoes and milner drum/disk replacement  and the problem i have is that with the new shoes on and everything sitting as it should be, the drum/disk just will not fit over the shoes.

Has anyone else has that problem. Did you solve it with toyota shoes as i am concidering sending back the shoes, even though iv'e spent the time fitting them, and replacing with toyota ones. I checked the sizes of the milner disc/drum and it seems the same as my originals so the only thing i can think is that the new shoes are too thick?

Oh an i should mention i have tried putting the original stutt in again instead of the 5mm longer one, and the drum still will not fit on over the shoes.

I don't know if you have tried or even heard of these :
https://the-overlander.myshopify.com/collections/4x4-parts/products/boss-landcruiser-handbrake-upgrade
Towpack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:35    Post subject: Re: 80 series handbreak. sorry another handbreak issue. Reply with quote

fullonadventureltd wrote:

Yes. I had EXACTLY this issue with the shoes from Milner. I would have returned them, the only problem being I didn't come to fit them for several months and when I did so I couldn't find the receipt.
I ended up using an abrasive belt from a belt sander, wetted to eliminate dust, to reduce the shoes thickness until they fitted. Not an ideal or necessarily recommended solution I agree but it was ages ago and it seems to have worked along with some new dog bones. I've never seen any new OEM Toyota shoes so can't comment on how they compare size wise. I think it's also important you follow the bedding in procedure from the FSM

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
andy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i ordered the 5mm longer strutt from australia. it didnt solve the problem.

Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
jon.doel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 19:13    Post subject: Sorry to be picky but it's actually a handbrake Reply with quote

Also

It's Not a Bl**dy Jeep it's a Landcruiser. It's neither - it's a Land Cruiser!
andy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 17:48    Post subject: Re: Sorry to be picky but it's actually a handbrake Reply with quote

jon.doel wrote:
Also

It's Not a Bl**dy Jeep it's a Landcruiser. It's neither - it's a Land Cruiser!

You have a problem with that ?
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
jon.doel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 20:48    Post subject: Landcruiser or Land Cruiser Reply with quote

In some ways yes. It is the name of these things. Landrovers are not Land Rovers, a Hiace is not a Hi Ace, a Proace is not a Pro Ace and a Land Cruiser is not a Landcruiser. Your name is not An Dy it's Andy I can call you An Dy - it sounds the same but it's not quite right is it. In fact the forum itself is incorrectly spelled (or spelt).

Check my facts anywhere you like.

Jo N sorry Jon
andy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't contribute anything worth while to the forum, then don't bother coming back.
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: