Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Loss of power on 2003 landcruiser 3.0 D4-D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justeeno

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 19:31    Post subject: Loss of power on 2003 landcruiser 3.0 D4-D Reply with quote

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I have a 2003 landcuiser that has had an intermitent fault for some time. Periodically the car suffers from an almost complete lack of power when drving which feels to me like fuel starvation. When driving during one of these episodes the car will judder like its trying to clear a blockage and occasionally seems to clear and set off like a rocket before losing power again.

The issue does not effect starting and the car always starts 1st turn of the key.

I have temporarily cured the symptons on a number of occasions by loosening the fuel filter for a few minutes before re tightening priming and re starting. This method has worked many times although on some occasions the actions have to be repeated a few times.

Once the symptons have been cured by the above actions the car will run like a dream for 2 or 3 months before the whole performance stars again.

Any sugestions that anybody can offer will be greatly appreciated
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 19:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Glenn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

All most certainley suction control valves
Justeeno

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

That was the conclusion that I had pretty much come to but always nice to have someone agree. I was just worried that I was missing something obvious and about to throw my money away.

Are they a part that I will be able to get at my local factors or will they be a dealer part?

Once again many thanks for your help.
ian.stevens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had exactly the same problem on my 120.  I only bought it at auction a few weeks ago, but had allowed for things to be wrong for it when bidding.
Intermittent loss of power, engine management light came on, sudden regain of power.  Thought at first it was the TPS, but my friendly mechanic checked the OBD,(My OBDll wouldn't work on the car as it is a 2003), and straight away said he was pretty certain it was the SCVs.
Had them both replaced and the car now has more power than when I bought it.  Really pleased, but now  going to have a new clutch and get the cam belt done at the same time.  I paid well under the odds for this 1 owner 83k car and want it to last.  It's my first Land Cruiser and I love it over the shogun I used to have.
Justeeno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the SCV valves and these seem to have done the trick on mine.

I did the timing belt and water pump on mine at easter when I did the service, fairly straight forward job changed the timing belt tensioner with the belt as it didn't seem worth risking reusing the old one for the price difference, after all its not a job you are going to do that often.

We've had this one for over 5 years and had very few issues with it other than what I would consider consumables, had to change the alternator just after Christmas but other than that mainly tyres which we seem to get through more than our fair share of due to unrepairable punctures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: