2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

tracking way out after changing lower ball joints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike adams

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 21:24    Post subject: tracking way out after changing lower ball joints Reply with quote

I have just changed both my lower ball joints because the rubber seals were failing. Now the tracking is way out with toe out and the steering wheel not central as before. I cannot see that I have done anything wrong and while I can adust the toe in it seems a bit strange. Parts supplied by Milners. anyone else had this problem?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 21:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:30    Post subject: Re: tracking way out after changing lower ball joints Reply with quote

mike adams wrote:
I have just changed both my lower ball joints because the rubber seals were failing. Now the tracking is way out with toe out and the steering wheel not central as before. I cannot see that I have done anything wrong and while I can adust the toe in it seems a bit strange. Parts supplied by Milners. anyone else had this problem?

Did you not count the number of turns when you removed the old one and the same when putting the new one on ?
drew m

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's the track rod ends he's talking about, then you count the threads, if it's lower ball joints it's a straight replacement but different manufacturers have slightly different build tolerances therefore the need to redo tracking.
Drew
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

drew m wrote:
I don't think it's the track rod ends he's talking about, then you count the threads, if it's lower ball joints it's a straight replacement but different manufacturers have slightly different build tolerances therefore the need to redo tracking.
Drew

Sorry mind elsewhere when read the post
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is always the downside of pattern parts, they are never exact copies, alignment will have to be reset.

Would be interesting to know if those who splashed out on the more expensive genuine parts didn't have alignment problems after, it could be argued that by the time you've had someone sort the alignment out it might have worked out no more expensive buying the genuine parts if they were fit and forget.

I had similar problems when i had new front wishbones (ball joints part of lower arm) fitted to a Merc, whilst the tracking was fine after the shape of the wishbone was slightly higher so the vehicle sat too high at the front, ended up needing new shorter springs to compensate, sometimes you are better off biting the OE price bullet, as i should have done in retrospect, but you don't know this till it's done.
Slarty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem when changing to none OEM parts from Roughtrax - they also rusted within 6 months
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put Genuine Toyota ones on mine just because seems a part I wouldn't want to skimp on quality at all!  Didn't notice any change in tracking, but may be because I don't actually think the old ones had any play at all... (Just changed them due to mileage)

Perhaps the issue is more to do with how worn the previous ball joints were, you have re-centralised the hub, the tracking might have been previously set to align with the worn position?
Slarty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveWall wrote:
Perhaps the issue is more to do with how worn the previous ball joints were, you have re-centralised the hub, the tracking might have been previously set to align with the worn position?

Could well be out because of previous alignment with worn ball joints

We use it extensively off road, mainly rough gravel tracks, so it gets knocked about a lot, I'll get the tracking re aligned once I've replaced the broken front coil, replaced the shock absorbers and changed the upper ball joints - that's if it all comes apart  Rolling Eyes
mike adams

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are Toyota ones ?
I might just change them again as I don't know if it is possible to change the camber and caster easily - looked quite rusted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: