4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Colorado using veg oil?

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbv8

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 20:29    Post subject: Re: Well oil be! Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Andy - You de man! Many thanks for that gem.

I already have records going back more than 30 years - Deep Purple, Led Zep, Rush. Will they do?

Well, I'm up for a trial on this. Not sure about the meat free oil. Chippy cooks sausages in there. Hang one - there's no meat in those! Trust me, I've eaten them.

Going to ask Mr Kebab for a price on 25lt drums of SVO. Will report back.

LC
My god mate offer to take the wvo away for free as though you are doing him a favour be REALLY nice and you may be in luck Smile  they used to have to pay to have the stuff removed not so long ago you know  Rolling Eyes I am about to start producing my own bio have got me reactor got a rough idea of what i am doing Confused  but as you i am still sourcing a reliable free and regular supply of wvo. As far as records go whats wrong with the Grounghogs/Family/Atomic rooster/Grand funk railroad/The small faces/Vanilla fudge etc etc bet you aint got none of them have ya bootyshake
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 20:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 21:18    Post subject: Battle of the Bands Reply with quote

Or Golden Earing, Yardbirds, Cream, Focus, Wishbone Ash - you'd be surprised at what I have in my collection.

Spoke to Kebab owner man - he uses blocks of solid veg oil. Figure that even when used, it's gonna be thick. He has a man in Hull who collects it for free and will not upset him by letting me have some - actually don't want it if it's solid. My 50% mix has been in the fridge all day - no waxing or thickening at all. Looked at BF option - jeez wouldn't rocket engineering be easier?

LC
cbv8

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biofuel making is NOT that difficult it just looks it my mate down Devon who made my reactor makes the stuff daily he makes it sound just like putting the kettle on for a cup tea  Shocked  We shall see as i said the only thing holding me up is wvo supply once that is secured i'm in production Very Happy  (bet you aint got Spookey tooths version of i am the walrus bl**dy wicked  Twisted Evil
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 17:03    Post subject: Older and bolder Reply with quote

No I haven't but that must mean that you are considerably older than me?

HA HA

LC
cbv8

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful that is F.Jack in my avatar not me Wink
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 21:34    Post subject: veg oil Reply with quote

Guys
Ive been using the bio diesel myself for a couple of months  no problems mix it with proper derv,I buy it local from a guy who ships it everywere,The price 2 months ago was 90p a litre now its upto £111.00 robbing tw  t.

I have allso put  2 x 20ltr tins of svo in a full tank of derv worked fine no problems,done this very regular...............

Went to buy more svo and it has gone from 11.00 for 20ltrs  upto 18.00 still a bit cheaper than derv !

I read somewere that if you use svo you can put a bit of white spirit in to help thin it out...

Lenny.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 21:48    Post subject: SVO Reply with quote

Now £11 for 20 litres would be really good! I have to keep looking around for the 2 for 1 offers.

Personally, I'm not looking at Biodiesel - just SVO, mixed with derv 50 50 or there abouts. My trips up to Scotland are super straight with about 3 gear changes for the whole trip. It is becoming really expensive, just getting there. If it gets much more expensive, I'm going to buy a car trailer and pull it with my Avensis with the Colorado on there.

I can reduce the cost significantly by sitting at 60 mph sipping chip fat at under £1 per litre of mixed.
Leslie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k boys this is the plot ;

Disconnect your EGR valve (Clamp of small air feed pipe )
Fit water heat exchanger to warm svo .
Fit heated diesel filter band .to warm oil till coolant  temp starts to rise.
Coolant piping and tee fittings .
Total price £150

Fill truck with new oilseed rape oil or sunflower oil ( better fuel consumption with sunflower )add 10 litres unleaded petrol .
This is the way .
I know wvo can be made very cheaply but you have to add some horrendus chemicals to refine the contaminated oil, I personaly would want this in the engine ,so I opted for the new food grade oils , the Germans based all there developements on new rapeoil so that was the way I decided to go.

PS ,  LC  I could drop down and help out with the stalking ,it would stop any illegal ideas you might be brewing . And with all that loud music I dont know how you manage anyway Rolling Eyes
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very kind offer - to help with the stalking. But this is a solution for which I don't have a problem! But nice try. What is the season for ex Chancellors anyway?

Still sounds like a deal of messing around to me though. I just want a source of SVO at a decent enough price to cut with diesel to make long trips more pocket friendly. WVO sounds like it is too contaminated with deep fried Mars bars and pizzas to be a ready source.

By the way, the loud music deadens the sound of me stumbling around in the heavy cover and dead bracken!

LC
cbv8

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn WVO or SVO in your engine untreated ie without removing the glycerine and your engine WILL need rebuilding 20k 30k miles or less due to gumming up Shocked  It WILL be damaged eventually by using the previous untreated oils but what do i know eh all i can say is you have been warned Wink
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 19:46    Post subject: Let's not rush in Reply with quote

Sorry Chas, not with you. There are multiple reports on the net saying that you can run a diesel on SVO (straight vegetable oil) straight from the bottle with no problems at all. Good old Rudolf designed the diesel engine to run on peanut oil right from the start. Clearly, I am listening - but there is overwhelming data out there saying that this is not a problem. Waste veggie oil - no, quite a different problem. Didn't think that there was glycerin in new oil.

Come back, good buddy..

LC
cbv8

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Landchrusher,
Visit www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk and get stuck in mate Wink  i cant elaborate anymore than i have as i have very limited experience of bio as yet BUT i have heard many horror stories of gummed up engines. All i do know is that with a methanol/hydroxide mix added to wvo it causes a reaction that seperates unwanted glycerine/fatty acids/soap from veggie oil. This is then drained off leaving straight biodiesel whether it be svo or wvo i am sure you still have to do this reaction but if i am talking out of my lower orifices someone out there please correct me but i know which route i'm going down Very Happy
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chas, thanks for that. I think that I have to state my case here once more. I am intending to run on 50% derv and 50% SVO. Not biofuel or simply 100% veggie oil. That's the key point. You can run a car on svo, but as you say, there may be long term issues. With a 50 50 mix, apparently there isn't. Saving say £20 per tank would give me an edge on the economics here. As I only do about 5000 mile per year in the LC I would have to have my engine rebuilt sometime in the next decade. I could live with that. Local miles, I would probably just run on pure derv. It's getting up to Scotland that is crippling me. popping to the shops is one thing but 700 miles straight is a hell of a hit as I only get 21 mpg pulling the quad trailer. Without, I can squeeze 27 mpg. Plus, I just want to poke this government and the oil companies in the eye.

LC
cbv8

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand you predicament but why oh why dont you have a go at producing your own bio when i go into production i will let you know how it goes and what EXACTLY is involved Confused  Until then best of with the 50/50 i think the main issues for you will be waxing but its so called summer now so not a problem at mo the other problem is fuel pump seals etc and i think you may need to change your fuel filter more regular whatever you do best of luck mate speak to you later Wink
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Because I don't have room Chas. And I don't need that much. As for waxing, I have had a litre of mix in the fridge for a week and it's still a liquid as diesel. I can stick it in the freezer for a bit when I get a moment to see what happens. Not sure why people go on about filters. This is virgin oil. There's more crud in new diesel than in crisp 'n' dry. I have taken the tank off and cleaned it out. It's like a shiny new sink in there.

LC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: