All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Colorado using veg oil?

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about changing the filters is that when you use SVO/WVO it seems to take the cr*p out of the tank, and some people have had blocked filters, not a problem in your case as you have cleaned the tank.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 21:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. Thought so. There was some very unpleasant gunk that appeared to be growing in there. Worryingly it was on the inside of the filter on the end of the pick up.

LC
Leslie

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here ;

www.oilcrusher.5u.com

Our older engines are perfect for converting due to the type of combustion chamber they have , and the Denso fuel pump is a Bosch licence .

Fitting the required parts would take an afternoon at the most , the important part is heating the fuel to reduce strain on the pump i.e the viscocity of the oil .

This is also the guard against the gumming effect of cold oil and combustion temp .

This is the Single tank principle ; Use your exsisting tank heat the oil , start and finish on svo.

Two tank ; Start vehicle and stop on diesel. Auto switch to svo when temp is correct . Requires extra tank for starting diesel .

With the convertion fitted you still fill and run on diesel as normal if you cannot find oil.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 16:59    Post subject: Veggie update Reply with quote

Well it's running on a 25% addition of new oil at the second and I have to say that I'm sure that I can feel a difference. OK OK, I hear you say Emperor's New Clothes, Placebo effect and Pavlov's Dog etc. But it DOES feel different. It seems to have more torque (even more) and feels smother pulling away. The engine also sounds a little quieter.

Why only 25% - I need to find a local wholesaler selling veggie cheaper than Tesco.

Oh, the stories about being accompanied by a faint smell of cooking - they're right. The exhaust does not smell of diesel, it smells vaguely of chips.

LC
nordic venture

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear all is OK. i've been watching with interest. to be honest i'm wanting to try this myself but it'll have to wait 'tiil after tuesday when it's in for the MOT Shocked
i priced veg oil round at the local ASDA and it was 97p/ltr. a saving of 19p/ltr compared to derv. (you get 2p/ltr discount if you pay with an ASDA credit card) which works out at 85p a gallon saving.

what sort of oil are you using LC? i also noticed that crisp n dry is 65p/ltr but suspect this is no use??? due to additives?

i'm sure costo must be cheaper but it's an 80 mile round trip!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm also interested in the cleaning properties of veg oil. would i be right in thinking that if it cleans out the fuel tank it must also do the fuel pump and injectors?

finally, does the smell of chips make you feel hungry? Laughing  Laughing
DJR

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use KTC vegetable oil, obtained from Costco, in 20l containers for around £16..  Works out to be 80 pence per litre.

Been running 50:50 over the winter, with no problems, and now we're into the warmer weather, I'v upped it to 70:30 ish..  

I do a 70 mile round trip to work each day, so need to save every penny I can!!!

And I think the exhaust smells more like a barbecue than chips!!!

1996 3.0 tdi Prado Import.  Gone!!

Last edited by DJR on Mon May 12, 2008 11:58; edited 1 time in total
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Dave. Costco it is then! Sure there is one around here somewhere. 80p is exactly the figure that I need too.

Super, ta. Regards the smell, don't forget that mine is a short wheelbase. It makes all the difference you know.

LC
bigalan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJR

Is yours the 3.0L TD Colorado?

I ask because I have this model on a W reg a and have no idea what pump/system I have and was wondering if I can simply put a particular type of oil straight in mixing it with normal diesel?

Thanks
Alan
DJR

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigalan wrote:
DJR

Is yours the 3.0L TD Colorado?

Yes and no! Mine is the imported Prado, but to all intents and purposes, it's a 3 litre Colorado.

1KZT-E engine.

Go on!!  Bung some oil in!!!

bigalan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, what 'flavours' of oil do you recommend?

I have access to a cash and carry locally and can get quite a bit of stuff.

Thanks
Alan
olivergt

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really interested in this myself (I have an 80) but my biggest concern would be the long term effects of running on Veggie Oils. It's fine that it "Sounds" ok  and the it "feels" like there is more oomph etc. but what is the story 30k - 40k - 50k miles down the road running on this stuff. I have read one horror story where the Veg Oil had mixed with the engine Oil and the engine had to be rebuilt.

Does anybody know of any long term test results, scientific or otherwise, of running for a relatively long time on Veg Oil?

Oliver.
cbv8

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
Found this website www.veggiepower.org.uk for all you Veggie oil users take a look at page 208 makes bio prodution sound easy and tells why not to use unprocessed veg oil  Shocked
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is with this that for every person who says 'don't' there are an equal number saying that 'it's fine'. So far, I haven't corresponded with a single person that has had a problem in practice, but several who have been doing it for ages with no problems at all.

I'm running a 70 derv 30 SVO at the moment ans I can honestly say that there is a difference. I also get less smoke on start up too. I'm neither daft nor stupid and I am evaluating this as I go along. I don't do that many miles, so if it blew up in 30k that would be about another 6 years down the line.

LC
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 15:41    Post subject: veg oil Reply with quote

guys whats the story if we get stopped by customs with a mix of derv and svo.........

I run on a mix of derv svo and bio diesel hoping if i get stopped and have my tank dipped and the fuel analysed in the back of their van ( i think this is what they do ) they will see that i have bio in, and not just svo and derv as when using svo you need to pay duty anyone see were I am coming from I am a bit lost.

Lenny
DJR

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny,

The duty you have to pay on a diesel substitute (SVO) has been scrapped for small users, under 2500 litres per year.

You should, however, keep receipts for 6 years!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: