4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Colorado using veg oil?

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24Seven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

wombat wrote:
I have read the above and think I'll give it a go. I see that the Costco KTC Oil is soya oil but I dont suppose that it makes a difference.

Is there any reason why SVO should not be used in the 3.0 D4D engine rather than the TD? Sorry but I dont really know the difference!

As far as a know you cannot use SVO in a D4D without problems.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 18:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all to do with modern high pressure diesels. Good old Rudolph made a crude and lumpy old thing that would burn just about anything but logs. As we got more clever and realised that an oil burner could do some quite serious mpg - if 'tuned' they became much more refined and in doing so needed better fuel. Squeezing some old nuts into your tank just isn't very refined. Now I can't explain all of the why's and wherefore's but ask yourself why doesn't an F1 car run on petrol straight from the forecourt?

Teknologee, matey. Tecknologee.

Than heavens for big old lumps like the 1KZ-TeeHee

LC
bigalan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the difference betwen say my Colorado 3.0TD and a D4D engine? which would be suitable for Veg oil to be mixed with normal diesel?

Thanks
Alan
dave68

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 23:33    Post subject: pure veg Reply with quote

ive just bought 4, 20 litre tins of oil from costco,its gone upto £17 which is still cheap,had a bit of diesel left in jeep,put 20 litres in and is running fine,used it in many diesels even pure with no mix, taxi drivers mix pure antifreeze in it in winter but dont now weather that would damage engine in any way.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is still good. But you need a card. Can't think how I could qualify.

LC
dave68

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:18    Post subject: veg oil Reply with quote

there must be other wholesalers near you where you could get it.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to look. Makro was selling it at £19.10 for 20L. My Sis in Law got some for me. Barely worth at that price. We have Booker cash and carry and a Hicks. I'll have to drop in and see.

LC
nordic venture

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
I will have to look. Makro was selling it at £19.10 for 20L. My Sis in Law got some for me. Barely worth at that price. We have Booker cash and carry and a Hicks. I'll have to drop in and see.

LC

ah but at say £1.30/ltr for derv that'll save you £6.90 for 20ltrs. X2 for just under a 50/50 mix and it's a saving of £13.80. so a fillup of 40ltrs diesel and 40 lts  veg oil would be £90.20 Smile . opposed to £104  Shocked for 80ltrs of derv at £1.30ppl.

a 50/50 mix totalling 80ltrs would cost the same as when diesel cost £1.12 / ltr. if your local filling station sold diesel for that price, they'd be queing 'round the block!!

ps. lidll were selling veg oil (last week) for 95ppl. but only in 1ltr containers.
bigalan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

What make of veg oil do you purchase? I can visit our local wholesaler and see what they have and it would be good to know what you lads use?

Thanks
Alan
dave68

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:34    Post subject: veg oil Reply with quote

ktc is the one i got in 20 ltre tins but tesco,aldi,or asda's own in 3 ltre bottles can be used
wombat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco is not just for trade customers. Many other occupations qualify - I qualify as I work for the NHS. The website is not very helpful on this subject. I would phone a store and ask the rules.

Alternatively, you could be an add-on to a friend's membership. This costs the friend £20 approx so you would probably need to offer to reimburse this.

Another weird thing about Costco is that they only take cash or debit card - no credit cards.
Jamie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJR wrote:
Lenny,

The duty you have to pay on a diesel substitute (SVO) has been scrapped for small users, under 2500 litres per year.

You should, however, keep receipts for 6 years!

DJR

Where did you dig up the info on the duty being scrapped for low users, I was looking at the C&E website the other week for duty rates on SVO mixs or fuel substitutes and they still seem to be looking for 28ppl on WVO & 55ppl on SVO.
Tried using "other oils" years ago to run a mates hilux on a farm, seemed to work on just about anything we put in it, even a mix with JET-A1...
Now with fuel topping £100 a tank I'd be happy to try just about anything to get the cost down a bit...

Jamie
bigalan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local bookers cash and carry (oxford) do KTC Veg oil in 20L boxes for £17.00 is this the stuff I can use ok?

They do some Sunflower oil which is almost twice the price, I'd rather use pukka Diesel.

thanks
Alan
dave68

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 22:51    Post subject: svo Reply with quote

yes ktc not sunflower oil
DJR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie, Yes, the fuel duty is 55 ppl on SVO, but as long as you only produce (use) less than 2500l per year, per household, then the duty does not apply.

I am registered with HMC&E, and used to send a cheque off every month. Not for much, but they got their bit!! I got a letter telling me not to bother. Reckonm it cost them more in administration then it was worth!

1996 3.0 tdi Prado Import.  Gone!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: