All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Local journeys. 3.0 diesel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcruiser Is best

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 13:14    Post subject: Local journeys. 3.0 diesel Reply with quote

Recently  bought a 2000 d4d Colorado. I'm doing a lot of local runs, supermarket, school run etc(~1 mile). I like to start the car 15 mins for the first start of the day to let the engine warm up. Is this good to do? Can idling the car mess anything up?

Also I know these don't have dpf's so can anything go wrong with local mileage instead
My neighbour has told me should be okay as long as take on a small run(motorway etc)ever now and again.

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 13:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accepted wisdom whenever this subject comes up is that its best to let the engine warm up quickly by gentle driving, however during the cold weather i usually let the engine have a fast tickover (not idle) for about 5 or so minutes to thaw the car out whilst i'm lacing up my boots and sorting my work kit out.

For extreme use, and stop start running comes under extreme use, it's better to change the oil more frequently and keep an eye on that oil pick up strainer when you drop the oil (i assume the strainer can be seen through the drain hole as with 120 series?), maybe twice a year oil service instead of once, and good quality coolant is just as important.

Our cars have often been on short journey use over the years, but always very well serviced, if anything overserviced, no problems to report.
budgey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the Power Heat function be used in this case? Assuming you have it, that is.
Perhaps someone more techy could advise whether that would be appropriate or not.
Samphy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should keep eye on all main services daily by focusing on warning lights also, because mostly they indicate problem early stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: