4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newbie owner of KZJ78, need help with 4wd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beartums

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 18:08    Post subject: Newbie owner of KZJ78, need help with 4wd Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for the very helpful forum!  I hope you can help me with some Newbie questions.

I'm new to 4WD in general and the KZJ78 in particular, so sorry in advance for the many questions.  I've scanned every post in this forum and found lots of hints, but haven't been able to put it all together.

In the vehicle, I have a few 4WD controls: the 4WD selector to the right of the automatic shifter (with positions H, N, and L), the Rear Differential lock to the lower left of the steering wheel, And the H4 and Hub Lock buttons to the right of the steering wheel.

I've gathered (possibly incorrectly) that:
-L4 (move 4WD selector to the bottom) is for situations requiring 4WD and lots of torque, and locks the hub automatically
-H (4WD selector to the top) is for normal 2WD driving
-N (4WD selector to the middle) is for ???.  Nothing seems to happen when I do that and the automatic transmission shift doesn't do anything)
-H4 with Hub Lock is for high-speed 4WD driving, slippery roads, etc.
-I should be in Neutral (auto transimission shifter) before changing the 4wd Selector

So my questions right now are:
-What is N for on the 4WD selector?
-When should I engage the rear Diff Lock?
-Does it matter the order which I engage the H4 and Hub Lock buttons? (differing answers on the forum, it seems)
-Am I missing something crucial  Is there anything I need to know to keep from breaking things?

I also apologize if I am using incorrect terminology.  Any information or links to helpful guides would be useful.

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 18:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

"N" is simply neutral.

The rear diff lock should be engaged BEFORE you attempt any situation which may involve a cross axle situation i.e. you are on a dirt track and you find a series of pot holes that could mean that you will lift a rear wheel off the ground. Do not attempt to engage the difflock when a rear wheel is "in the air".

If you have front hub locks controlled by driver activated buttons, then engage them when you select low range. You must be stationary.

For normal driving i.e. a sealed road ( concrete tar or asphalt ) use H2 ( rear drive only ) high range, hub locks not engaged. On a dirt track engage hubs, select low range and if necessary engage difflock. Only use difflock for the period necessary to drive through difficult situation.

I suggest you join the Green Lane Association and then speak to the local rep for your area.

Roger
beartums

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger!  Very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 70 Series / Prado / Troopie / Bundera Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: