2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oil Leak - Head / Head Gasket? Oil Or Coolant Passageways?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smithy1966

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:48    Post subject: Oil Leak - Head / Head Gasket? Oil Or Coolant Passageways? Reply with quote

Hi,

I own a 90 series 3TD (1KZTE). I have been suffering with an oil leak for some time. On this crazy journey to save my front driveway I have changed the oil pressure switch, oil cooler, rear main seal and the oil sump gasket.

I believe the engine was leaking from more than one place. The oil sump gasket certainly recuced the amount that was leaking, however, the oil cooler, pressure switch and rear main seals were red-herrings.

The origin of the leak appears to be in the back right corner (nearside rear) of the engine just above the oil cooler.

I have recently changed the head-gasket as I began to get oil mixing with the coolant. I found this in the coolant expansion bottle. When I changed the head gasket there were signs that the engine had gotten hot. Note, that there was not any coolant found in the oil though.

A friend took the head to be skimmed but they didn't pressure test it (despite my request!). The car ran fine for the first 2 weeks - I had thoroughly flushed (detergent/rinse +10 times) the cooling system and there were no signs of oil in the coolant.

....Until now (2 weeks later). Oil has started to enter the coolant again and the oil leak from the suspected area is back.

My current best guess is that there is a breach between a pressurized oil passageway/gallery and both the outside of the engine and a coolant passageway/gallery.

One question relates to the oil passageways in the block/head - please can someone identify where they are? I am pretty sure I know the low-pressure oil holes that allow the oil to drain back into the sump, but I am not sure which of the remaining holes are coolant passageways or high-pressure oil passageways?

I have annotated a picture in the link below. I have coloured the head bolt holes blue, the low pressure oil drain passageways red and the cam oil feed purple. Are all of the remaining holes for coolant? Is the cam oil feed the only high-pressure oil passageway?

Annotated Picture of 1KZTE Head Gasket

I am not sure of my next steps but I think I will get the cooling system pressure tested to see if the pressure increases when the engine is started. Then it will be a case of removing the head again to visually check the gasket, have the head pressure tested, measure the block mating surface (I didn't do this the first time round) and then replace head with new head bolts and new head gasket.

Does anyone else have any other advice? Would adding a sealant to the new gasket be a good precaution?

Thank you,

Luke
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

smithy1966

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

I pressurised the cooling system to just under 1 bar (the same rating as my radiator cap) and the pressure held steady. I then started the car and the pressure needle fluttered and then when I revved the engine the pressure began spiking.

I am pretty sure this means that the failure point is between a high pressure oil passageway and a coolant passageway. Given that the problem was temporarily fixed (2 weeks) before returning I think this might rule out a crack in the head or block or an issue with the head surface or gasket.

I think that it is more likely the mating surface on the block that is the issue or a problem with the head bolts (I understand that they can stretch if re-used a few times?).

I will be removing the head and getting it pressure tested regardless. However, it would be helpful to know the location of the high pressure oil passageways so that I can investigate more thoroughly when I measure the block surface and study the gasket.

Please can anyone help identify the high pressure oil passageways in the image that I included in the original post?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: