NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Solution - Updated!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 200 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonjz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:19    Post subject: Solution - Updated! Reply with quote

Cant EDIT my post (admin - any reason why we cant edit?)
Any way, posting again with links to pics...

--------------

So, after some digging and research (OK a lot of digging), I have successfully managed to update the maps. Not quite sure if Toyota would approve but hey, lets not go there.

This is just for reference in case anybody else feels like doing this. The unit in my LC is a Gen7 unit with a hard disk and USB port. This means that the maps can be updated via the USB port and can be done by the owner. Do not listen to the Toyota dealer who will probably ask big money to do this, as well as have the trainee have a go at installing it. The Gen8/9 units are updated by SD card. If you need to identify which unit you have:

The Gen7 has the physical buttons down the left or right side of the screen (2012 - 2015) (depending on if you have the Left hand or Right hand drive versions of the LC200)
The Gen8/9 units have no buttons on either side (2015>).

I would post pics but looks like the site does not support uploading etc (they need to be hosted and I cannot be holed)

So.. here is the process

1. Download the maps. All 20GB of them. They come in multiple files (zipped) and they need stitching back together again

2. Using your favourite decompression tool (7zip for me), uncompress them which will leave you with files worth 32GB in one folder.

3. Copy the entire folder to the root of a suitably sized USB drive (64GB - trust me here, the 32GB folder does not fit on a 32GB memory stick by 20MB! Somebody in Toyota is laughing at me right now).
4. Put the kettle on and fill a flask with the hot water. Gather tea/sugar/milk etc, put it in a bag and head to the LC.
5. Start LC, and hit the nav button when it is ready. Press Map, then press Map Version.

6. Insert the USB stick.
7. Press Data Update. Follow the on screen prompts.
8. Enter your Activation Key
9. Pour a cup of tea. Wait 90-12 minutes (yes - nearly 2 whole hours!!!!!). Pour several cups of tea. Definitely USB1.1 only... wow Toyota you cheapskates.

Hint - Leave the engine running otherwise the unit will switch off by itself after some time as the ignition will turn off by itself. Be patient... it will confirm success or not at the end.

So, where did I get these magical maps and activation code? I don't think I can post it here, but if you PM me I will happily tell you. The maps are only available for Europe and Russia, so those in the US are out of luck.

Total cost was less than £40 plus diesel and tea etc. Oh and having to go back out to get a 64GB stick.

One of our colleagues has the same LC, and she was quoted over £500 for this update.

I hope this helps. Good luck, and happy to help anyone who needs it. Now I need to RE the data and figure out if the activation codes can be calculated Smile. Watch this space.

Simon
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 200 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: