All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Vibration after 7k of parts and labor:)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex vc3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 21:33    Post subject: Vibration after 7k of parts and labor:) Reply with quote

Guys,

I am not from UK, but I am desperate. I changed almost everything on my 2010, LC150, 3.0D4D,manual,140KW and I still have steering wheel vibration. Steering wheel shakes at 100-120 km/h. While trying to solve this problem I changed:

New tires (3 sets tried)
New rims and few sets of used ones from newer cars
Rotors and brake pads (twice)
All wheel hubs and bearings
All wheel bolts and nuts
All worn rubber parts and suspension parts
Engine mounts and transmission mounts
New shock absorbers
New clutch kit and flying wheel!
Balanced propeller shafts and checked joints
Demounted drive shafts and checked joints
Rack and pinion Ok
Did wheel alignment and wheel balancing number of times, even on Hunter road force

Steering wheel is still vibrating. Not all the time, there is some specific small part of the road which has waves when it doesn't.
Also, every time a car spend few hours or days lifted while doing some service trying to fix this problem:), vibration dissapear for short time and than comes back.

If anyone can have any idea what can be the cause, I would be GRATEFUL!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 21:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long shot, but i had a similar (really violent) vibration issue on an articulated truck back in the 80's.

It was fine for hundreds of miles but at a speed of around 40 mph if you found a set of road undulations that set up the right bounce frequency the wheel would shake so violently that it could be seen leaving the road.
That turned out to be a weak shock absorber, but exacerbated by the very generous central automatic lubing system of the vehicle (all multi leaf springs) meaning the spring leaves would lose their own natural damping ability by rubbing gently against each other as they do, because the springs were soaking wet in oil.
A new shock absorber plus removing autolube from those spring shackles and fitting grease nipples instead cured the problem.

Obviously you don't have any real damping effect of the spring because it's a coil, so the shock absorber has to provide all damping, though the spring itself could be weak that side, kerbside springs tend to get a harder life due to drains and worse road damage near the kerb.
The wishbone bushes may help provide some damping too, so possible an issue there but clutching at straws here, also were the new dampers a quality product?
Is the hub spigot a good tight sliding fit with the wheel?
Front diff got plenty of oil, props well greased and have you repacked the front drive shafts with the proper CV grease?
Brake calipers working well, pins lubed, pistons free in their bores and lubed with the correct specific brake grease?

In cases like this, if you know a section of road you can provoke the vibration on, it can be revealing if you get an assistant to drive your vehicle whilst you follow (or you drive and get your mechanic to watch) and watch from all angles, sometimes damping/crabbing/tracking and other issues show themselves when all normal ways of diagnosis have failed, easy enough for a passenger in the following car to video this problem happening to peruse later at home.
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention steering damper. A major problem can be road surface ie condition of. If you habitually drive on poor road surfaces a heavy duty steering damper might be the answer.

Roger
andy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 150 series has a damper, as anything with a rack doesn't seem to need one.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do wheel alignment, do you do just the "tracking" or full camber/caster etc....?

Any play at all within steering rack/bushes?

If its a manual, make the steering wheel vibrate, then if safe to do so, dip the clutch and see if it stops!

Jack it up and check all the 4wd is engaging/more importantly disengaged as it should be!

If your confident all those bits in your list are OK, and the above doesn't change anything, I might try remove front prop, lock in 4wd and see if problem disappears... (not a fix but may narrow it down)
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.s. Assume you have checked and double checked the steering ball joints, check with weight on and off the front end...
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be tempted to have a play with the geometry too... My advice would be mark all the adjusters well where they are, maybe go for the most forward adjuster on the inner bush of the lower control arm (this has most effect when I was playing with mine)

Let off the lock bolt then turn the nut (which has the marked cam on it) very slightly, move it  one of the marks in a known direction and go for a drive)... I marked all mine when I had full geometry setup on the truck and did find one of these had moved due to pot holes etc (and maybe not being tightened up enough by the wheel place).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: