4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frog1520

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 23:53    Post subject: P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor Reply with quote

Hello!

Was using cruise control on my 120 D4D (2006) earlier and everything was fine; after about 20 miles or so, the green cruise light flashed and cruise disengaged itself.

Then some lights came up on the dashboard -- check engine light, VSC/TRC, VSC-OFF and 'Slip Indicator' light.  If I stop and restart the car, the lights go, but then come back after about a minute.

Put a code reader on it, and got a P0500 code talking about VSS - vehicle speed sensor.  Any idea which part this is and where its located, or any other clues?

The engine was fine, the speedo is working and its changing gear OK, so it obviously does know its own speed somehow.  

Very grateful for any advice!

Thanks!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 23:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

frog1520

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on this:

- The speed sensor on the gearbox was changed - no difference

- Toyota said it was the ECU.  Replaced the ECU, no difference.  Put a scope on the ECU speed wire - it only gets a strong signal (high voltage) when in reverse - not forward.  Made me think a sensor might be back to front, or the wires crossed somehow - but is that possible/feasible?

- The speedo works OK.  The speed sensor wire goes to the instrument cluster - and the speedo works fine.  The cluster then 'shapes' the speed signal for the ECU.  I thought the shaping circuit in the cluster might be broken, but replacing the cluster did not fix it either.

Anyone have any ideas, on this problem that nobody can seem to fix?

Thanks!
frog1520

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people have asked me for an update on this.

Toyota looked at it and said ECU should be replaced; I did that and it didn't solve it.  I also changed the speedo and that didn't solve it either.

I've now taken it to an expert to have a look at - Julian @ Overland Cruisers.  I'll update once I hear back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: