Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Spare Wheel - When did you last check.........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 21:49    Post subject: Spare Wheel - When did you last check......... Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thought I put a separate post for an activity I perform during each service.

The spare wheel is lowered and raised by way of using the extension attachments in the tools, to connect through the bumper to a hidden winding mechanism. This winding mechanism looks polyurethane, but is sandwiched amoungst metal plates, metal axle, and the chain itself for lowering/raising the wheel.

The square end of the extension (you’ll know what I mean when you see it) interface to the Turing mechanism, feels like it wouldn’t be up to much, if you tried to exert extra force on it, to free the rotation mechanism, if it were siezed.

therein, you could come across this problem at a most inconvenient time, I.e if you had a flat, and needed to lower the spare, but you found it all seized.

I mention this, as even if it’s in the Toyota servicing requirements (which I doubt) to check operations and grease it etc, I doubt it would ever get attended to during routine service

So, even if if a novice, it’s worth “trialing” a spare wheel change “in your own time” out with a flat tyre event itself.

Would recommend, next time you have a spare 1/2hr, get the manual out,  locate the tools, and lower/raise the spare wheel, get an oil can and oil the rotating mechaism, check the spare tyre presssure then raise it back into position. (If your feeling extra confident, get the jack, see where the jacking points are and lift the LC of the ground also)

Then if you get a flat, you know what to do, and more important you’ll get to the wheel you need.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 21:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2007 Hilux had the similar winch arrangement for lowering/raising the underslung spare wheel, i made a point of every few months lowering the wheel for inspection, general cleaning in the area and always greased the mechanism well.

Also i used a motorcycle chain and serious padlock through the wheel and over the chassis rail to prevent theft.
russell.huffer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

When mine get serviced Toyota always put the thread depth on the service report, but I do wonder if they would notice if it had no air in it, let alone think to wind it down clean/lubricate the mechanism then wind it back up again.

Will inspect sometime myself.

Kind regards

Russell.
poze

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you hear spare tire chain when driving at higher speeds?
Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

poze wrote:
Do you hear spare tire chain when driving at higher speeds?

If that question was for me, the answer is no, because the chain came wrapped in some form of nylon webbing, the chain itself being around 10mm thick links, the padlock alone weighing probably a half a kilo so all in all too heavy for wind below jet fighter speed to move it, it was also just the right length to be a comfortable fit going through the centre of the wheel and over on of the main chassis rails.
poze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

With speeds over 100km/h there is some strange rattling noise coming from back left end of the lc, so I tought it might be that chain... but will have to keep looking. Everything else inside body compartments in the back (door and body) is wrapped in clothing so it shouldn't rattle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: