Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Auto change linkage on 2005 LC4 D-4D

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:04    Post subject: Auto change linkage on 2005 LC4 D-4D Reply with quote

Not sure whether this is the correct section for this model - but the auto change lever is more difficult to move through the gate than it should be. I am told it’s a linkage needs replacing and not a big deal - but also told from a different source that the gearbox needs to come out!Somebody else has now told me it just needs greasing!!!
anybody help here with some advice to a new member with his first foray away from a Landrover?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Les63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 22:23    Post subject: Auto shift kit Reply with quote

Hi Ibex   Sounds like you need a shift repair kit quite a few members have had this problem ,the fix is easy takes about 20 minutes .Read a few posts page 4 [auto shifting] also page 7  [wobbly gear stick] where you will find a link to a guy selling the kit on 'prado piont' it comes from Australia costs about £16.If I remember right he also has a guide to the job.The offending part is a bullet shaped pin and spring located under the centre console ,the pin in the kit is a bit longer than the original and the spring a bit shorter, works a treat.No kit available from Toyota just a whole selector costs arm leg and any thing else they can grab off you.

Good luck Les.
boxa55

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did mine over a year ago 30 min job and makes all the difference
Captain Slog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the PradoPoint post referred to:

https://www.pradopoint.com.au/forum/marketplace/for-sale/15788-120-prado-shift-lever-repair-kit?25297-120-Prado-shift-lever-repair-kit
Ibex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 16:28    Post subject: Auto selector mod - URGENT Reply with quote

Whe I first asked this question, I was about to buy my first Landcruiser. When I went back to inspect the car again the dealer said that the linkage had been stripped and greased and was now fine. It certainly felt better and that was 5000 miles of happy ownership ago - so I forgot all about the mod. Today however my wife has returned from a shopping trip complaining she can hardly get any gears. A week from Christmas and lots of driving to do - and the car's gone sick!

Following the weblink provided for doing the mod I have stripped out the selector assembly and have the pin in hand. Does anybody know how much longer this pin should be to eradicate the problem? If I had the time I would order the kit from Australia - but I haven't - but I do have a lathe and a milling machine. I'm guessing that it needs to be at least 3mm longer to make any difference? Does anybody know the answer?
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibex.
If you search online with these words ''replace transmission selector pin and spring on Prado 120'' several hits come up, on one of those hits you will find a rather decent picture of the pins and springs, new and old, side by side, from that pic you should be able to work out the size you need, probably a drill bit of the suitable size would make a decent replacement pin once you've cut and shaped it via your lathe., presumably you'll cut the spring down a little at a time to suit.

Let us hope its only the pin sticking and hasn't broken the plastic/nylon guide it sits in, luckily it the work of minutes to remove the trim and check.
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact if you look at the link in the post above yours is that very pic.
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better still
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17849
Ibex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:58    Post subject: Detent pin Reply with quote

Absolutely brilliant, thank you very much! I only hope this fixes it now.

Thanlks again.
Ibex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 15:51    Post subject: Further detent work Reply with quote

Just got the car back together again and it isn't right. It is better, but seems too tight. I checked earlier correspondence regarding the comparison photos of the before and after pin. Measuring both pins on the screen and then working out the percentage increase tells me the new pin should be about 27mm - not 33mm identified in the email. Oddly enough I hade already made a 27mm pin from scratch before reading the email, so I think i will go back and swap it out and see how that feels by comparison.
Ibex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 17:33    Post subject: Auto selector continued Reply with quote

OK, I have the car back together again. I'm getting pretty good at it, which is just as well as the last assembly was done in the dark - but it's now good enough for a 300 mile round trip to a family dinner tomorrow in the north east. For that, thank you all for responding to my emergency!

But it isn't right. The change is definitely better with the 27mm pin in place, but I cannot select 2 or L at all? I'm wondering whether I have made a mistake on the reassembly? Whilst the selector plate was removed I had a bit of a play with the selector stick and noticed a seperate white plastic sprung mechanism toward the rear of the quadrant, driver's side, with which the selector engages at its extreme travel. I'm wondering if I have moved that forward and then reassembled the selector whilst it was still out of place? Is that a possibility? No great deal to strip it again and correct of that is the problem.

One of the best bits of advice I have gathered in this excercise has been to replace the selector plate locking pin with a long M5 nut and bolt. Much easier when you have to strip and rebuild more than once.... bandhead
Les63

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 20:49    Post subject: Gear Lever Reply with quote

The pin I got from Australia was 30mm and the spring 20mm before compression, works perfect !
Les63

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 20:56    Post subject: Gear lever Reply with quote

The pin I got from Australia was 30mm and the spring 20mm before compression works perfect,if the spring is to long that will make it tight.
Juddian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 22:38    Post subject: Re: Gear lever Reply with quote

Les63 wrote:
The pin I got from Australia was 30mm and the spring 20mm before compression works perfect,if the spring is to long that will make it tight.

Confess i didn't measure the kit from Aus before fitting, hoping never to have any issues again apart from maybe a regrease at some point, and talking of grease i gave everything visible in the selector area that moved a squirt of aerosol grease at the time.

The kit has been in some two years or more now and the gearshift is silky smooth still, as Les63 the length of and pressure exerted by that spring appears to be critical.

The separate sprung mechanism Ibex mentions doesn't ring a bell, but seeing as i am fast gaining the memory span of a goldfish with each passing year that is hardly surprising.
Ibex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 17:00    Post subject: Aussie mod Reply with quote

I suspect its the spring really. I have been to the family dinner and back and the car works fine, but 2 and L are still not selectable. When I first set off, I couldn't get the D light to light up on the dash either although the car was moving along perfectly. Only by going to 4 and back to D could I get the D light on. Doesn't feel right though. I'm inclined to cut through all of this and just buy the mod kit as discussed - can any of you chaps give me a weblink to that please?

Just to add insult to injury, I have had warning lights coming up on the way back - and staying on. These are VSC/TRC/VSC OFF and the slippery car symbol. There was some snow on the way home tonight, but I would have expected the lights to go off after any short loss of traction? Just been out to check and the lights are still on and remain so after the engine starts and all the others go off. What's that all about? I will post another plea on the forum specific to this enquiry!

Once again, thanks for all your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: