4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Clunk/Thud when accelerating after coasting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taurus2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 19:28    Post subject: Clunk/Thud when accelerating after coasting. Reply with quote

Dear members,

I have a Toyota landcruiser short wheel base (3 doors), 2018, Diesel 2.8L. 6 gear, auto.

After the car gets warmed up, after some driving, In some situations when I accelerate after coasting I hear a clunk/thud noise, coming from somewhere in the central bottom part of the car, I think. (not from the back, not too front).
This is very prominent, for example, when crawling in slow traffic, or when accelerating after coasting uphill.

Did anyone encounter such phenomenon? What was the cause? How did you solve it?

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 19:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grease the prop shaft sliding joints.
msrpearson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it straight back to the toyota dealer a 2018 should not be making any noise. if left it may cause serious damage.
It could be a lack of grease, but could also be something loose in the centre diff.
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

As TR comment, grease both front and rear drive/prop shafts that sit between the gearbox, transfer box and rear axle.

The clunk, is the transfer box "settling" on it's mountings as it manages the torque between the rear axle and gearbox, the propshafts are designed with extension/slides in them that need greased regularly, "tail shift clunk" is common on earlier 120 models also.

You could look to replace the mounting bushes, but usually a good greasing will resolve.

In fact I've found that a good greasing sometimes also sorts what feels like a wheel balancing issue.
russell.huffer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tail end clunk is a well documented over on prado point the Australian website for Land Cruisers my 150 is doing it bad at the moment, mainly because I take mine off road and the water washes out the grease quickly. As I understand it the maintenance says grease ujs but no mention of slider, so this never gets greased by the dealer. Same thing used to happen on my Nissan Patrol. Grease the slider on the rear prop and all will be solved.

Then do not forget this needs to be done regually monthly/bimonthly

Kind regards

Russell.
14all_and_all41

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, and for those not greased before, as you pump grease into the slider/extension, keep going until you see it start to expand/extend and then some more.

If I recall, I usually pump grease in until I see at least 2-3" of travel on the shaft, do know if right/wrong, how much is to little or to less, but as it extends it does see to get to it's max travel, then I think once you start driving, drive shafts at each side of the transfer box just settle in there newly greased position.

My take anyway, please to hear how anyone else does it.

You can manage lying on the ground crawling underneath with a standard grease gun, just might have to roll/move the car to get the grease nipples accessible, and while there to the UJ's X 4 also !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: