Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Prado 120 going into limp mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin2003

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:45    Post subject: Prado 120 going into limp mode Reply with quote

Dear club members.
I'm new on here and have a question that will hopefully stop me being ripped off by my local garages!

I have owned my 2003 Toyota landcruiser for about four years. I have it serviced at the correct intervals and love it. Without doubt the best car I have ever owned. It has never gone wrong until now!

It is a Diesel automatic D4-D 3.0ltr version.
I have it fully serviced in February this year, including changing the Dif lock oils, front and back.

After a good 250 mile run the other day I pulled into a garage to top her up with diesel. I then took her out of the hi and low gears and put her in the neutral gear. Sometime told me that this reduces wear. I have only done this a couple of times and with the thought of a 250 mile drive home it seemed like a good idea. I then went onto the motorway and she had problems almost straight away. The revs would not seem to want to go above 3000 revs and there was a loss of power getting to this. It seemed as though the engine was being restricted until I reduced the revs and then she would pick up again only to be restricted once more once I took her up towards 3000 revs. The diagnostic light then came on. (First time since I owner her).

I immediately pulled over and put the smaller hi/low gear stick into the high position once ore thinking this must have something to do with it. I then started off again. The engine diagnostic light went off and I thought all was ok. Then the same problem happened. The diagnostic light again came back on. So I  limped her home.

I took her out yesterday to see if the problem had settled down or reset itself, but it has come back. Although intermittently, 90 per cent the same issue. Sometimes it would be fine for ten percent and go up through the revs.

I have a caravan holiday planned in two weeks with her and now I'm worrying about taking her to a garage to get ripped off.
Can anyone please give me some advice what it could be?

Many thanks in advance.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

russell.huffer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this seems to have started since you added diesel, I would change the fuel filter, simple and cheep. Had this once on my Patrol, filled up and a few miles down the road it played up, water in fuel was the cause.

Kind regards

Russell.
Colin2003

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:06    Post subject: Many thanks Reply with quote

Many thanks. I will try this and get back to you.
Colin2003

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 22:00    Post subject: Great news! Reply with quote

Thank you so very much for the advice. I changed the fuel filter and it drives like new. You have saved me a fortune and a lot of worry. Thanks for the brilliant advice.
russell.huffer

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help, just be aware that as this started after you filled up, there is a possibility you could have some water in your tank, so it may happen again. I used to carry a spare filter just to be safe.

Kind regards

Russell.
Colin2003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 17:57    Post subject: It’s happened again! Reply with quote

Hi. It’s happened again. I have changed the fuel filter twice and that seemed to work for a tank of diesel. Then the same again. My third filter change nothing changed. I’ve read as much as I can on this and have decided to change the SVC plugs on the car so fingers crossed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: