NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

from LC 95 to LC 120 - responsive to sluggish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishmonster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 20:18    Post subject: from LC 95 to LC 120 - responsive to sluggish Reply with quote

After 5 happy years owning an excellent 1998 95 series Prado (Lifted and prepped for adventure) it came to a tragic end this winter at the hands of an out-of-control snow plough  Crying or Very sad . I decided to try going a little newer and getting an 2002 LC120, which in many ways is a nicer car...except for two things. Firstly the suspension, way too sloppy...but I know I can fix this with an upgrade just like my 95. But more frustrating is the responsiveness of the throttle...its pretty poor. My 95 way eager, torquey and never felt underpowered, the 120 however is really laggy (horrible on roundabouts) and is nowhere near the feel of the 95, which was pre D4D. I have had the EGR and inlet manifold removed and de-carboned thinking that would help and, although it's not smokey anymore, it hasn't helped with the poor response. Any ideas, would be most welcome. Ultimately I am regretting not getting another 95, but want to give this car a fair shot.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 20:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Neilto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to spend £400 you can fit this.  https://www.chipexpress.com/products/toyota/land-cruiser/diesel-chip-tuning-boxes/2206/
I've done it to my slightly newer one and I'd say its well worth the money.  Its no race car but certainly deals with overtaking in a much more efficient manner after the mod.  I've done 20000 since the fitting and all is well.  No problems with the insurance co (LV) who know about the mod.
Fiesta Ecoboost
Fiat Ducato motorhome
Renault 21 TXI
Fishmonster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Neilto, I have been considering something like this but wasn't confident without some real world feedback. It seems that no one really does remaps so I guess a box might be worth a shot.
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide on a tuning box, make sure it doesn't have only one setting, you might find it makes the vehicle smoke under power and need to play around a bit with the settings to find the sweet spot.

Does seem odd though, can you hear the turbo spooling up on the 120? if you can't hear it noticeably in built up areas then 1st question is the turbo spinning.

Have you done the obvious first, changed the fuel and air filters and made sure there isn't a birds nest in the air intake.
This does seem odd, my LC5 takes off rather faster than a vehicle of its type ought to,  you can always hear the turbo spinning up at low revs so there's plenty of fuel there...very good emission figures though, so have a look at the MOT paperwork if present to see what its pass figures were when last tested.

I have a tdi tuning box for 120 sitting here, it has a removable end cap and inside is a connector pin that can be fitted in one of about ten places, presumably these vary the amount of fuelling, in high settings it will smoke like hell, but in all honesty it shouldn't be needed as the vehicle was well set up at the factory in the first place.

One other thought, its simplicity itself to remove the cambelt cover, 6x10mm bolts, if no joy with other things it might be worth taking the cover off and double checking the timing marks line up, and some clot hasn't fitted the belt a tooth out.
Fishmonster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Juddian, I think that the turbo is probably spinning up OK, just not as instantly as the old 95 did, which seemed exceptionally responsive. I know that the 120 can suffer from lag from excessive back pressure in the exhaust and the previous owner has fitted some odd y shaped splitter to vent the exhaust pre-silencers via an electrically operated gate. Why, I have no idea but I have decommissioned the electrics so that the splitter passes the gasses via the normal route. I have no idea if this would upset the back pressure even more so I was considering whether to try and get that section removed...but it seems like a long shot. I don't know if @Neilto can answer the variable setting question on the Chipexpress box or not...or whether he needed to do that? Will check the air filter and timing belt.
Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thought Fishmonster, no brakes dragging?, cos we know how susceptible Japanese brakes are to the excessive saltings of British winters.

Hmm, that exhaust splitter sounds a bit odd something similar was fitted (from new) to one of the silencers on my petrol 95 and also to our previous Subaru Outback, i wonder of the gubbins inside could be loose and the flap (presumably thats basically what the valve comprises) has dislodged and is partially blocking the exhaust?
Fishmonster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this was my thought, knowing how the smooth passage of air is so crucial I can't see how having this mechanism is going to help....especially if it's not working. I guess the only way to know will be to remove it. I think the brakes are OK.
Fishmonster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went ahead and bought the Chip Express box. Fitting was trickier than I thought as the rail pressure sensor that it plugs into is right at the back next to the firewall and low down, obscured by other engine parts. In the end we accessed from underneath. Once fitted we went for the first test drive....nothing, no change. The instructions recommend trying out different + settings on the same programme, so we tried ++ then +++, still no change.

Contacted Chip Express and they were surprised and recommended trying programme 3 (max power), but once again, no change at all. Contacted Chip Express again and they immediately said that they would send a replacement unit with pre-paid return packaging.

It came next day and boom! it worked, immediately I could feel the difference. I tried the +++ setting and on as I pushed the throttled, gaining speed the engines went into limp mode, so it was definitely working but had exceeded the parameters of the engine. The installation covers this eventuality and we followed the instructions, ignition off, dropped to ++ and restart.

Since then I have driven 200+ miles and I must say it has really helped, it now feels much more responsive and very similar to my old truck. So thanks for the recommendation.....new suspension arrives today for part two of the big fix (Pedders kit from Roughtrax). 😁
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: