2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

VSC/TRC and VSC OFF lights

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 17:24    Post subject: VSC/TRC and VSC OFF lights Reply with quote

Driving home this afternoon I had the VSC/TRC light, The VSC OFF light and the slippery car symbol come up on the dash of my 2006 LC4, and stay there. To get the full story, I'm currently struggling with poor auto box selector issues and awaiting the mod kit to replace the spring and detent pin . Can't see how that might cause an issue but include after doing a search on line and hearing a range of possibilities including that of loose fuel cap (?) - and one about P and N select - which could be very relevant!

Is there an expert out there who might confirm such a diagnosis?

Thank you in advance for your attention.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 17:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Les63

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 22:03    Post subject: VSC Light Reply with quote

The issue with the fuel cap is caused by the seal either being damaged or more often hardening with age, the cap should feel just a little snug when removed or fitted .
The seal should feel just a bit soft.If this is the cause the warning lights usually reset themselves after about 40 miles .Before spending on this have a check the fuel filler
pipe has not corroded through as this can cause a similar problem.
Hope this helps.
Les.
Ibex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 23:32    Post subject: Warning lights Reply with quote

I took a ride out on Monday evening and on the way home, called in to fill up. When I got back in the car I noticed the lights went out as they should! The car had done perhaps 50 miles since the lights first came on and this is the first refuel it has seen - although I did check the fuel cap on Monday morning and it seemed OK.

Hopefully whatever it was is now fixed, but will wait until it needs refilling again before I cheer too loudly?

Thanks for your help. Very Happy
Ibex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 16:30    Post subject: Warning lights Reply with quote

Spoke too soon! Went out with the car briefly this morning and the same lights once again refused to go out. I stopped at destination and walked the dog - and then returned to the car and removed/replaced the filler cap before turning the ignition back on. The warning lights went off as they are supposed to on engine start! So it seems like it's related to the fuel filler cap? Do I just buy a new sealing washer from Toyota-san?

How does this trip the VSC warning light and warn of slippery roads? Does it work on air pressure inside the tank?

Before going too far down the filler cap route, I do know that the filler pipe is heavily corroded. The fact that the warnings first came on when I inadvertantly ran into a deep pile of slushy snow at the roadside (filler pipe side of the car) whilst doing about 50mph might have resulted in impact to the pipe? If I get the car up in the air to look at the pipe - what would I actually be looking for? If rust holes are the answer then presumably there would be signs of diesel leaking as well? Why would such an air leak create these fault warnings?

Thank you for your help.
frog1520

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 19:49    Post subject: Re: Warning lights Reply with quote

[quote="Ibex"]Spoke too soon! Went out with the car briefly this morning and the same lights once again refused to go out. I stopped at destination and walked the dog - and then returned to the car and removed/replaced the filler cap before turning the ignition back on. The warning lights went off as they are supposed to on engine start! So it seems like it's related to the fuel filler cap? Do I just buy a new sealing washer from Toyota-san?

How does this trip the VSC warning light and warn of slippery roads? Does it work on air pressure inside the tank?

Before going too far down the filler cap route, I do know that the filler pipe is heavily corroded. The fact that the warnings first came on when I inadvertantly ran into a deep pile of slushy snow at the roadside (filler pipe side of the car) whilst doing about 50mph might have resulted in impact to the pipe? If I get the car up in the air to look at the pipe - what would I actually be looking for? If rust holes are the answer then presumably there would be signs of diesel leaking as well? Why would such an air leak create these fault warnings?

Thank you for your help.[/quote]

Hello there, did you get any further with this?  I had a similar problem with those lights - see my other thread which I'm about to update!
Ibex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:51    Post subject: Dashboard lights Reply with quote

The lights just went off one day - and have stayed off! They certainly responded to messing about with the fuel cap - and I once cleaned around the fuel cap because it looked dirty -but can't see how that would make any difference? But the lights have not come on again since.

I did mention the apparent significance of the fuel filler to these particular warning lamps to my local main dealer and got the distinct impression that the chap thought I was not being serious. I can't say I understand the connection either - but there certainly seems to be one!  

Best of luck in resolving the issue in a more scientific fashion!
frog1520

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!  Ill check the fuel cap! :)
Ibex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:02    Post subject: Warning lights Reply with quote

Here we are again- lots of warning lights on - all the usual suspects. This time they came on when I was towing a quite heavy trailer yesterday? I have messed about with the filler cap since and even filled the tank  - all to no avail. Although I admit I haven't driven a further 50 miles since. Are there any Toyota magic words I should be using here?

I'm thinking of buying a code reader - primarily so that I can reset these lights without paying the dealer. Any suggestions of a particular device?
Ibex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 16:24    Post subject: More lights - and a potential link! Reply with quote

In addition to the usual culprits I now have the hill descent warning light on as well as the ABS, stability etc as previously reported. Just for a change though the Hill descent and the stability lights are flickering!

This is all a complete mystery to me so I have ordered a replacement fuel filler pipe in the hope that this does fix it, as others have done. I know it leaks a little when the tank is full so needs doing anyway.

I have since found a possible link in the electronics in the car to the fuel filler in the form of a carbon filter designed to draw off excess vapour from the fuel tank. Part of the emissions protocol. It reacts to this pressure, particularly in hot weather, draws off the vapour through the carbon filter and somehow reintroduces it through the intake system at a convenient moment. For this to function properly the manual talks about ensuring there are no leaks around the filler cap or the fuel filler breather which would prevent it working. I wonder if this is what is tripping all of these random warning lights?
frog1520

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 18:23    Post subject: Re: More lights - and a potential link! Reply with quote

[quote="Ibex"]In addition to the usual culprits I now have the hill descent warning light on as well as the ABS, stability etc as previously reported. Just for a change though the Hill descent and the stability lights are flickering!

This is all a complete mystery to me so I have ordered a replacement fuel filler pipe in the hope that this does fix it, as others have done. I know it leaks a little when the tank is full so needs doing anyway.

I have since found a possible link in the electronics in the car to the fuel filler in the form of a carbon filter designed to draw off excess vapour from the fuel tank. Part of the emissions protocol. It reacts to this pressure, particularly in hot weather, draws off the vapour through the carbon filter and somehow reintroduces it through the intake system at a convenient moment. For this to function properly the manual talks about ensuring there are no leaks around the filler cap or the fuel filler breather which would prevent it working. I wonder if this is what is tripping all of these random warning lights?[/quote]

Have you read the codes?  Without those it is all guesswork.
Ibex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually was about to treat myself to one this christmas having survived my life so far without one! I have always been put off on the basis that a £50 hand held DIY device can't be much good or garages wouldn't spend thousands on the kit they have? Do you have any suggestions for a suitable tool?
frog1520

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet is probably to get Techstream and put it on a laptop.  Check e bay for the software and a suitable cable.
cruiser67

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 13:43    Post subject: Dashboard Lights Coming On Reply with quote

HI Ibex & Fellow Forumers

I have a Land Cruiser LC4 D4D 3.0L Manual and I know that this sounds ridiculous but I had the same problem with the VSC/TRC Lights coming on etc, and the problem was with the EGR valve, mine was so clogged that when I took it off I could not see through the other end, so I would remove it, clean it completely out and then replace it, frankly I blanked mine off and then deleted the Map on the ECU.

EGR's in my opinion, are the worse design ever, (dont know if you are aware of what they do and what they can do to your Engine!!), but my performance was drastically improved once I done it

Mark
Ibex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:58    Post subject: Warning lights Reply with quote

Thank you for the message about the EGR valve being the culprit, but maybe not. I have changed my car since I had those problems and my new one is a peach. One owner 2006 LC5 with only 50k miles on it when bought. Now got 58k on it. I quickly set about removing the EGR butterfly as well as blanking off the pipe and also fitted the Australian gizmo that keeps the ECU happy. Car purrs along and engine oil still looks clean after 1000 miles of caravan towing!

Getting to the point, it was pouring yesterday and I hit a large pool of standing water . No real drama of course but the same three lights came on!!!! I'm very pleased to say that the following morning all of those lights had gone off and not returned - but it was an icy blast from the past for me. Unless a momentray aquaplane situation can also cause the warning lights to come on? And then reset after ignition off? A mystery to me!
karl2000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some water hit one of the ABS sensors and caused it to have a wobble - improbable data from a sensor would cause those lights to come on, and ignition off / on again would reset them.  So unless it happens again, I wouldn't worry about it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: