All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

wont start!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24    Post subject: wont start!!! Reply with quote

OKay

so I cleaned my whole inlet / ERG assembly this week (minus the actual manifold)- and boy was it cruddy I suspect 233K worth of muck (I have some pics I can post)

anyway cleaned it all up with petrol etc - put it back on, pretty straightforward

connected all the vacuum pipes and electrical connectors (obvs I have checked and double checked this)

and this morning turned the key (it has always started 100% on the button)

and a v v slight "catch" then nothing - and it just seems to spin (and maybe a bit faster!!!) - its like it has an immobiliser fitted

so what I have done so far, not much just rechecked all the pipes and connectors, primed the fuel pump

used the spare key (see immobiliser point above)

I am going to see if it is throwing any error codes

but any help to try and reduce the problem by elimination would be appreciated - I have never had to deal with a non starting diesel before (well apart from a Audi TDI and that turned out to be the injector pump so was scrapped!!)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this a few years ago, but didn't  have any problems, maybe try a bit of easy start in the intake, not something i like to do too often, but give it a go.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, thanks Andy

that's my next port of call

I have got some codes

and 35

they look as far as I can tell

24 Temp Circuit
33 Intake shutter control - but that's more to do wit it stopping not starting!!
35 Turbocharger pressure signal

but presumably it should start without the turbo connected (one time back from the garage they forgot to reconnect the lower inlet turbo pipe - my wife complained of poor performance!!!!, I just refitted and it was back to normal)
hodgy0_2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

the TL:DR version is "success" and it now starts on the button

So this morning I looked at the EDU (re-seated the connector and made sure it was bolted/earthed securely)

Looked at the connector to the spill valve - all looked OK

still nothing, a hand over the intake (where the turbo pipe connects)  suggested it was sucking, so signs of compression - good news

wipped that side of the manifold off to check the EGR valve was not sticking open and it seemed pretty closed - i suppose neither good not bad news

Looked through the filler cap to check whether the timing belt was working - yes  - good news

I then went to the garage got some easy start - nothing, sprayed into the inlet by the inlet heater whilst cranking and nothing

mmmmm - now quite concerned

so ring the AA and put "home cover" on my policy - £145.00 (have been a member for 35 years and never had home cover!!)

I sit and wait for the AA man to turn up

he arrives,  does some checks - although as we go thru things he is as mystified as me, and despite being a Tottenhamm supporter a really nice guy!!! Smile

He starts to think the timing belt has jumped - so loosen the cover, and looks whilst I turn the car over - looks tight (he said it if had jumped you would prob be able to tell)

he does my hand over the intake trick and is not totally convinced there is enough compression - the engine does seem to spin over to freely

although tbh it has always started on the button I would not know oh it spins when not starting - plus it has two newish Bosch batteries

He then askes me how long will it take to remove the EGR manifold (it was at this point where I expected him to go, most would have tbh)

5/10 mins I say - and start to help him, and we get it off

I the have to go inside and run a conference call (IT consultant by trade)

for the next 20 mins I see him walking back and forth from his van - I mute myself from the con call and go out to seem him

he is putting it back together, mmm ok so no real joy I think

I then hear him try and start it - it spins, stops,  it spins, it spins - just as I think he is going to give up it catches catches and starts  - f**k me what a beautiful sound - and oh my does it sound sweet

anyway when I asked him what he did he said he plastered/soaked the EGR in carb cleaner and sprayed some in the open inlet manifold - that's all

so I suspect what happed was I dislodged some crud when I cleaned the inlet manifold - I think the moral is

either take the manifold off the car to clean it - or leave it alone to avoid any clumps going into the head

anyway thanks for the replies - really helpful and I hope this helps someone (and never give up 0n these amazing cars)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: