Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New 120 owner with some lighting questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_magicfingers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 18:58    Post subject: New 120 owner with some lighting questions Reply with quote

Hi all, my Colorado finally rusted out so I'm the owner of a 2005 LC4 now. Looking to update the interior and exterior lights. Does anyone have recommendations for interior led light bulbs? I've looked on e bay and there's loads so just wondered if anyone had either a particular type or a seller elsewhere that does good ones. The ones I've seen mentioned on forums seem to either be in Oz or the US.

I'd like to replace the rear/brake/reverse lights with brighter bulbs too if anyone has suggestions for those.

Headlight bulbs. H4 LED's seems to vary significantly in cost, again I'd rather buy on recommendation than take a punt on £80 bulbs.

Finally, I had a light bar on the collie, which was brilliant (badum tish) as we live out on the country and lighting up the lanes at night makes driving much easier. Does anyone know of some spotlight mounts for the 120 series as the ones off the collie don't fit.

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 18:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with the interiors, but regarding the rears there's every chance they are all originals and probably the bulbs are going a bit smokey now, you might find decent quality replacements from Osram improve things somewhat, in fact i've replaced all the side lights because they were all getting a bit dim, all Osrams because i have an aversion to cheap rubbish bulbs, if you have the door mounted spare wheel you will find the stop light bulbs are twin filament capless jobbies but the 5w filament is unused in that light cluster, presumably is used if the vehicles has underbody slung spare.

Seeing as the front side lights are really awkwardly sited, Osram also make long life W5W capless 5 watt bulbs which i put in...note its easiest to whip a battery out when you want to access each light unit.

When i first bought the Lc5 i was appalled at how poor the headlights were, the 90 it replaced had better headlights with standard bulbs, even my old 70 series had better headlights!
After nearly cleaning an unlit skip up i immediately stuck a set of Osram Nightbreaker Laser's in and now the lights are fine, circa about £18 a pair on Amazon last time i looked.
Also put equivalent Osram brighter bulbs in the front spot lights, before they were hardly worth switching on.

Not a fan of leds personally unless the car is designed for them, dislike cold white lights which people who buy modern cars have no choice but to put up with, i want warm real lights with age appropriate colour but each to their own on this subject.
mr_magicfingers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that, looks like replacing the bulbs with something newer is a good bet and I'll go LED for higher light output. Hear you on the warm white for interiors but for exterior I'd like max light and so daylight balanced is a better option I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: