4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

diesel stalls when booted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:38    Post subject: diesel stalls when booted Reply with quote

It says in the book.. don't let the diesel engine idle for long periods when cold to warm it up drive the vehicle to warm up the engine

i did about half a mile and had to get across a dual carriage way a bit sharpish in a gap in the traffic and booted it ..the car went across ok and then when it changed gear it stalled  Shocked    is it that i should warm it up for a few minutes before i drive off
it started up ok and drives ok after, but seems a bit sluggish ..ok it's a diesel i hear you cry ..so what i reply ..my work TD ford transit van goes off like a rocket even when cold.. a friends BMW 3 series diesel is the fastest car iv'e driven for a diesel (lotus equippe otherwise).. i suspect an iffy cheapo motoraids air cleaner i installed ,and may put a K&N air filter in exchange as i have a gut feeling i got the wrong one installed after i purchased the car ..(long story)

any ideas people ??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Nor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Converter...?
Pre june 2001 you know.
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes nor,  but i know it only did it twice when cold , never at other times   maybe i could be correct  I will change air filter first Smile thanks
smudge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:32    Post subject: deisel stalls when booted Reply with quote

Can't see it being dodgy air  filter .
I would try running injector/pump cleaner through system.If you can get hold of some I would use Forte diesel cleaner. However this is usually only sold to trade. Fill the filter with it and run neat @ tickover for 10 mins. Excess returns to tank after a while.

1996 Mercedes e220 Cabriolet
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you smudge for that ..i will indeed implement your suggestion in a week or so, as i am doing an oil change after 4,000+  miles and will install a new oil and fuel filter at the same time as a K&N air filter,
although i hasten to add i put some diesel addative to a tank of fuel a month or so ago ,and i don't know when the fuel filter was last changed i have done 4,000+ miles since i purchased my amazon and as i tow a caravan i do an oil and filter change frequently ..even on my other cars i never did more than 6,000 miles
once again thank you for your input ..it is appreciated  Very Happy
andy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 15:43    Post subject: Re: deisel stalls when booted Reply with quote

smudge wrote:
Can't see it being dodgy air  filter .
I would try running injector/pump cleaner through system.If you can get hold of some I would use Forte diesel cleaner. However this is usually only sold to trade. Fill the filter with it and run neat @ tickover for 10 mins. Excess returns to tank after a while.

Sold here.
http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=167&vid=839
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks andy for your input ..

I have purchased the forte cleaner from your suggested website  ..even though the postage cost was an  expensive £6.30 and it was delivered next day
I have given the job to a friends dad who is a mechanic and he will do an oil, fuel and k&n air filter change for me as well as front wheel bearings, discs and brake pads at the same time as an oil change ..at i may add a favourable price as i have purchased all the parts  online over 2 weeks it will work out a lot cheaper than the main dealership  Very Happy
The Mechanic did tell me that the wheel bearings can be adjusted but i wanted new installed as it has done 114.500 miles
so as i had new rear brakes fitted by toyota 4,000 miles ago i thought get the fronts done too with new discs and i KNOW it's being done properley and can relax in that knowledge as i tow a caravan  Very Happy
HOG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:25    Post subject: Engin stops Reply with quote

Hi, got a 4.2 x reg. Had same problem on several ocations.engin managment light reset by local dealer no definate fault, was notified about faulty pump sencer leaking fuel up inside wireing loom. Traces of fuel could be found at different connectors on engin and up behind glove box.
toy dealer recomended refubishe pump. £2800 for a pattern £3500 for toyota. this might cure it. ha bluddy ha. Iwas thinking about slitting the wire with a stanly knife. Anyway if you look at your fuel pump, right at the bottem at the back there is a sencer. just below the 6 outputs. this is a timing sencer, remove the connector and check for diesel. aparently its common. This sencer can be bought from kent diesel centre (01622 687882 for the grand total of £139.20 inc vat & del. took me 2 hour to fit. 1 of whitch was spent getting m8 alan bolt out at back of pump. very fiddly.
1.     remove covers
2.     brackets
3.     5 bolts around back of pump tricky (remove oil filleter)
4      remove 2 small bolt holding sencer
5      refit new.job done
6      get lower back sorted after bending over car for 2 hours.

All work goes like a different truck , far more responcive. And as of yet no problems, try my best but will not cut out no mater how much i thrash it.
Hope this helps
 get yourself a small alan key set 1/4 drive you will need it.
sorry about spelling not strong point

Mark
Nor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most informative.
Most interesting.
Excellent posting.
I will look out for this one if I ever smell diesel.

Hope your back is ok by now.
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy .. me too..   Hog  ..great posting from you ..welcome to the forum .. that post will help loads of people i'm sure .. my amazon is being repaired /serviced as i write ..i will post a factual report at a later date . the sensor you describe had been done previously at an earlier service by toyota on my amazon with the first owner ..fuel leaked into the footwell i see on the report sheet with the service history... i have not got a smell/ leak that i know of ..i have an acute sense of smell so i would have found one if i had one .. thanks for the thought and your valuable input .. best wishes.... Keith  Smile
HOG

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:27    Post subject: ENGIN DIEL Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies. Just to let you know truck drives great, and as yet no problems. Good to know you can pull out of a junction in one go.

Might have squeesed another 0.00000001 mile per gal as well (well every drop counts)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: