Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LJ78 front axle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:58    Post subject: LJ78 front axle Reply with quote

Hi all, there is a lot of grease oozing from the large ball joint at the end of the front axle and the back of the nearside hub. My local mechanic, who is very good, tells me the axle needs replacing, and the bill with a new one from Toyota, and his labour could top a grand!!! Anyone out there got other ideas or where to source a cheaper axle than Toyota?
Apart from this the cruiser is a great multitasker, and normal running costs aside, has cost me nothing in the three years i have owned it since import.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joinerman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like you just need to replace the oil seals on the birfields, not a huge job & not that expensive, you certanly won't need a new axle, a new mechanic perhaps!!!!!!!

Joinerman
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 17:58    Post subject: LJ78 front axle Reply with quote

[quote="joinerman"]Sound like you just need to replace the oil seals on the birfields, not a huge job & not that expensive, you certanly won't need a new axle, a new mechanic perhaps!!!!!!!

Joinerman[/quote] Thanks Joinerman, mechanic has been good so far, but obviously not that good with this job! as my knowledge of cruisers is limited could you please explain what birfields are? and would replacement oil sealsdo it?as there is LOTS of grease leaking! I think the mechanics assumption is wear as this is a 1992 model. l
andy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of sites that cover the birfield joints, do a google search if you need more.

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/birfield_repack/repack.html

http://george4wd.taskled.com/birfield.html
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
DaveN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, just don't take it to the same mechanic if you get a sump gasket leak - he'll have you buying a new engine.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="andy"]Just a couple of sites that cover the birfield joints, do a google search if you need more.

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/birfield_repack/repack.html

h
ttp://george4wd.taskled.com/birfield.html[/quote]

Got your pics Andy, thanks-very easy to follow, but the cruiser/s shown look like vx models, where on my lj the big knuckle/ball joint is part of the front axle which the hub swivels on-a bit like early land rovers if i remember, or am I completely wrong?  Any help much appreciated guys.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DaveN"]Ha, just don't take it to the same mechanic if you get a sump gasket leak - he'll have you buying a new engine.[/quote]

Nice one DaveN, just the constructive help I need with this job, will bear it in mind
DaveN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The axle layout is the same for them all. Just like the land rover ones.
smudge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 20:12    Post subject: LJ78 front axle Reply with quote

Land Rover ones were filled with Gear oil when new. But leaked badly once chrome wore off axle spheres, so ended up with grease in!  Only solution to CORRECTLY solve problem was to replace whole axle.This is probably why your mechanic is getting confused.

1996 Mercedes e220 Cabriolet
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 18:38    Post subject: LJ78 front axle Reply with quote

Thanks all you guys for answers/suggestions. Now been given another name for repairs and armed with all your imformation I can see if he is up to the job first!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: