NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Lifespan versus rust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DafyddWW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 17:11    Post subject: Lifespan versus rust Reply with quote

Hi all,
Bought what appeared and drove like a reasonable 2003 manual diesel 3 door SWB, only to find it is falling to bits underneath. My question, does anyone have / are there any sound chassis cars out there (other than new), or am I looking for what doesn't exist/ Should I give up looking and resign myself to the long wait and order a new commercial SWB?

Dafydd  Wynn Williams
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 17:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

johnthegrinch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 15:57    Post subject: Re: Lifespan versus rust Reply with quote

DafyddWW wrote:
Hi all,
Bought what appeared and drove like a reasonable 2003 manual diesel 3 door SWB, only to find it is falling to bits underneath. My question, does anyone have / are there any sound chassis cars out there (other than new), or am I looking for what doesn't exist/ Should I give up looking and resign myself to the long wait and order a new commercial SWB?

Dafydd  Wynn Williams

Hi, I bought my 2003 LCS 4.0 V6 about three years ago and it has virtually no rust underneath.  I think it was used as a school run bus in London.  Krown coatings in Dudley have kept it that way with a thorough coating after purchase and a top up after two years.  its now done 100,000 and apart from a leaky radiator and one front shock - no issues. Fingers crossed for a long and happy life.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, perhaps my search is not a fruitless one after all, Hopefully, given time, I may be as fortunate as you. I would wish to protect a sound underside as you have. I will make a note of the Dudley people to help with this.

thanks,  Dafydd.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Since swb 125s seem to be rarer than hens teeth, and the chances of finding one with a sound chassis extremely remote, am I loosing the plot in thinking to find someone to dismantle my car and rebuild it on a new chassis?

I am 80 now and my driving future and annual mileage is limited, but really set on having a sound vehicle with a future.  the one I have (2003, swb, manual, diesel, silver) is fine,  EXCEPT its rotten chassis.  It seems the likelihood of getting Toyota to produce a new swb van in silver in less than a year is slim, and thus I am considering refurbishing the one I have even if the cost is unjustified.  As you get old you get strange notions!

Is there anyone out there who would undertake such  a barmy task?

Dafydd  WW
Bill80series

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
Hi All,

Since swb 125s seem to be rarer than hens teeth, and the chances of finding one with a sound chassis extremely remote, am I loosing the plot in thinking to find someone to dismantle my car and rebuild it on a new chassis?

I am 80 now and my driving future and annual mileage is limited, but really set on having a sound vehicle with a future.  the one I have (2003, swb, manual, diesel, silver) is fine,  EXCEPT its rotten chassis.  It seems the likelihood of getting Toyota to produce a new swb van in silver in less than a year is slim, and thus I am considering refurbishing the one I have even if the cost is unjustified.  As you get old you get strange notions!

Dafydd  WW

Hi i have inboxed you.
Bill80series

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafydd Wynn Williams wrote:
Hi All,

Dafydd  WW

Would you sell it as it is?
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Been told by a couple of different people that there was a noticeable improvement in the appalling underneath corrosion susceptibility of TLcs after 2008. Is this an accepted fact or just another urban 'myth'?

Now got myself a 2004 low milage tidy SWB which though corroded underneath is at least sound enough to be protected against further corrosion. Still on the lookout for a 2012ish SWB manual exceptional condition model.  The 2003 SWB is going back to the dealer.

Dafydd   WW
Surfy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends how long you like to optain your car.

Most of us swap them from time to time. Think your a 5-6 Years lifespan you dont see the impact of heavy rust, when you dont live at the cost or have to deal with winter and salt on the roads.

If you plan to use it a 10 years or more, then some preventions will help for shure..

Surfy
wooly0000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DWW, Ive had the following work done over the last month or so - chassis welded, a new fabricated rear body mount, replaced all the rear brackets (bumper & Lights) new engine and gearbox bash plate, drop links all round and anti roll bar bushes, rear brake calipers & discs, along with underseal and some other goodies, I'm intending to keep the car anouther 5 years. I've had the injectors checked at 165k and have been told their fine but i have run it on a 2 stroke mix for a long time.
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wooly0000

You don't say what to what vehicle you have had all that work done, so can't judge the economics for such an extensive list. Would be interested to know if your car is your ideal (except for corrosion) and thus influences your attitude.

My ideal would be a silver SWB 3 door manual diesel about 2012 with sound undercarriage.

Dafydd   WW
wooly0000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry DWW is a 2004 120 LC3 it drives brilliantly so hopefully it will be ok for the next few years fingers crossed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: