4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Replacement chassis for 90

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rustmagnet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 22:28    Post subject: Replacement chassis for 90 Reply with quote

Hi all. As a new member and also a first time landcruiser owner I’d appreciate some advice. The rear chassis of my swb landcruiser 90 (year 2000) is in pretty bad shape and realistically needs to be replaced rather than patched. Does anyone out there have or know where I can buy a decent replacement chassis. I intend to hold onto it for a very long time so I’m prepared to start from the ground up and hopefully restore the beast to its former glory. Hopefully not all 90 chassis have succumbed to the tin worm and a few from drier climates have simply been scrapped as the engine, transmission or body were knackered. Fingers crossed.
 Regards Joe (aka Rustmagnet)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 22:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Uk ones will have some rot/will be less than perfect.

I don't know if you can buy new chassis/chassis parts. Perhaps try Amayama if you can find the specific part number. For part numbers: http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/1997/land-cruiser-90/kzj90r-gjmntw/3_781540_003_/tool-engine-fuel

The problem that you face is that the second-hand parts supply for these will be slowly drying up and many of the parts are being sent abroad to markets where there are a greater number of old ones on the road, so there won't be a great deal of choice. Whenever I need a second-hand part I search e bay for 'landcruiser breaking' or 'colorado breaking'. There may be more scientific ways of doing it
Rustmagnet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I stumbled across the site you sent the link for last night and eagerly await a positive response. I registered and put in my VIN number so fingers crossed.I will post any update as it occurs. I wonder is there any likely hood that a company such as Richards that has built a successful business on replacing rotten Land Rover chassis will see the opportunity here and start to include replacement chassis for Japanese 4X4's also. I naively thought that after switching  from owning 2 Disco 1's to a Landcruiser that my rust battling days might be coming to an end (hence the username)
 Regards,
   Joe.
diggerdave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it, there just aren't the numbers of Jap 4x4s and because they don't attract the premium price of LRs not enough people will be bothered about doing them up to create demand.

I've never owned a LR although I've driven plenty for work over the years. I wonder if part of their reputation for rot is because, unlike most other 4x4s, they tend to get used off road and get muddy. As we all know, that's the worst thing for creating rust (apart from launching boats). (That said I know the D2 has a specific weakness for rust.) Reputedly the Colorado has specially thick steel used in the chassis, which helps keep the rust worm at bay. However, no one can stop the rot ultimately...
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big a job is it to swap in a new chasis? Massive I'm guessing or is it not too bad?
diggerdave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge job. But it might be more practical to weld in the rear chassis. There's a lot less attached back there! They do it in situ with LR cross members so I guess it's possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: