4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Mystery switches on 1999 Prado 3.0 TD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimupahill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 13:11    Post subject: Mystery switches on 1999 Prado 3.0 TD Reply with quote

Hi all
I'm a newbie to Landcruisers being the proud new owner of a 1999 Prado 3.0TD imported in 2005 to UK and in lovely condition. Despite my best efforts there are two switches in the cabin that I cannot work out what they do (I know, daft isn't it). The owners manual doesn't reveal their function.
The first one may require some knowledge of Japanese!!! It's a small red button immediately to left side of the gear selector with a string of Japanese characters imprinted into the plastic. I press it and nothing shows up on the dash display.
The second one is the black switch at the bottom right of the dash with a small orange indication light in it which comes on when pressed into the standard 'on' position (so it seems to be working) but again no indication on the dashboard display. I can't figure out what it's doing! It is NOT the heated rear window and the seats are not heated so neither of those functions apply.
Over to you guys, any ideas what these switches for !

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 13:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 14:22    Post subject: Re: Mystery switches on 1999 Prado 3.0 TD Reply with quote

Jimupahill wrote:
Hi all
I'm a newbie to Landcruisers being the proud new owner of a 1999 Prado 3.0TD imported in 2005 to UK and in lovely condition. Despite my best efforts there are two switches in the cabin that I cannot work out what they do (I know, daft isn't it). The owners manual doesn't reveal their function.
The first one may require some knowledge of Japanese!!! It's a small red button immediately to left side of the gear selector with a string of Japanese characters imprinted into the plastic. I press it and nothing shows up on the dash display.
The second one is the black switch at the bottom right of the dash with a small orange indication light in it which comes on when pressed into the standard 'on' position (so it seems to be working) but again no indication on the dashboard display. I can't figure out what it's doing! It is NOT the heated rear window and the seats are not heated so neither of those functions apply.
Over to you guys, any ideas what these switches for !

Hi ?????
Just my two pennarth, but the first one I think poss one of three things, but from what you say the switch does press on and off, so could be either be a "power" switch, or a "2nd" switch, but the thing I first thought of was a switch to be able to move the gear selector without the ign on.
The second switch is not a Toyota switch so aftermarket so could be anything, but you say it lights up have tyou checked the rear fog lights? do they iluminate when you switch on?
andy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, the red one is to enable you to move gear stick when key is out , and the other is rear fog light, as imports don't have fog as standard.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Aeroelastic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the red button means “release”, or in this case unlock when key not on.

I have a 1996 import, mine does not have the central locking button as yours? The one below your mirror adjustment in your second photo. Is your central lock electronic control? my central diff lock is engaged with the shorter stick next to my gearstick.
Jimupahill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:49    Post subject: Switches Reply with quote

Hi all
very many thanks, you got it! The red switch indeed releases the gear lever selector when the ign key is out. The other one switches on a rear fog light fitted into the bumper on the offside. I feel a bit of a chump re the fog light switch, I should have found that! The red switch had me rightly flummoxed. My previous experience (quite some years ago now) was Landrovers in the army (going back to the petrol ones in the 70's then the diesel defenders in the 80/90's) with their hi/lo ratio, diff lock, 2 or 4WD selectable. i'd never come across a device to allow you to move an automatic selector with the key out. Useful I presume when setting up for towing? I imagine there must be a lot of variations across the land cruiser range for the different markets.
Aeroelastic, yes it's an electronic switch to engage the centre diff lock. When engaged the dash indicator is a pic of the system with a flashing light in it's centre, prob the same as your 'lever' dash indication.

Anyway, thanks again folks, excellent forum, really helpful community.
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: