Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newbe looking to buy, would this put you off straight away?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WayneS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 17:03    Post subject: Newbe looking to buy, would this put you off straight away? Reply with quote

Hi, been lurking a while: I've for the last 11 yrs been a VW T4 Caravelle driver - mainly a weekend vehicle, bought a caravan a couple of years ago and now want to change from the T4 and get a 4x4..... but as with the Caravelle I want something I can keep and enjoy for a good long time. Limited budget, friends have suggested everything from a Sorento to an XC90. Was thinking of a Shoggy but I know a Landcruiser is the one I'd covet... so here I am!
Have seen an 04 3.0 diesel advertised with quite a lot of of history that looks smart but just checked the MOT history and whilst most years it seems to have either passed or failed with very minor issues / advisories, on the last one the advisory list was as follows:

-Steering rack has slight free play detected at steering wheel (2.3 (a) (i))
-Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
-Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
-Nearside Front Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
-Offside Front Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
-Rear Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
-Offside Rear Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i)

I haven't called the seller yet, having read lots on here I get that rust (lack of prevention) is the cars biggest enemy. I know that the seller may have had the work done, but it potentially looks quite a lot. Given the number of areas that look to be affected on this particular car: would you even bother enquiring or just wait for another to come around? Is it even possible that it may all just be superficial? If so why list on the MOT?
Thanks in advance for your opinions and any pearls of wisdom!
Wayne
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 17:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pass this one by, almost anything can be fixed on a Cruiser, rust as you say is the killer.
You'll have to be prepared to look at lots, but when the right one calls to you from an advert, don't mess about go and see it immediately and if its the one buy it there and then, good ones do not stay for sale they are snapped up.

Have you considered a Hilux, the 3 litre D4D is a hell of a lot more comfortable and nicer to drive than you might imagine the autop box is lovely too, plus you can go newer and still enjoy commercial road tax rates.
WayneS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Juddian,
thanks do much for giving your time and knowledge to reply- really grateful. I did at 6pm send the seller an email asking about the MOT adviaories (3 months remaiining).......no reply. I hadn't cpnsidered a Hilux but a crewcab would potenially work v well: thanls. Only BIG issue is I'm lookng at a budget of up to just about £5K, hope this is possible. The one I was considering on face value looked cheap, I'm now thinking that if a LC is say £500 under book' it might need £750 or more spending on it which defeats the object! Will be happy to travel for the right one. Thans again, Wayne
WayneS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry for my spelling in the last post........ must read before I click submit!
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wayne,

Just adding my three pennyworth, My experience is limited as I have only been searching for about a year but have learned a lot in that time. as has been said on here many times, underneath rust is a killer and almost always fatal.  You need to see the vehicle properly underneath on a lift to fully assess the degree of corrosion and whether it can be saved economically. this one sounds one to be avoided.

To be blunt I very much doubt you will get one with any real life expectancy for £5k. Even at that age you would be very lucky to come across one with a savable chassis for less that £8- £10 k. Overpriced I know but its supply and demand in the UK.

Mechanically they can always be fixed, Corrosion - very doubtful. Whatever you do don't buy unless you have spent considerable time poking about underneath.

Best of luck with your search.

Dafydd  WW
Juddian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been having a poke nose on e bay motors.

To be honest i'd give up searching for a Cruiser for the time being, the prices being asked are getting ridiculous now, Collie sellers still expecting your budget.
Hilux prices much the same way.

Whilst they are really good motors i'd be inclined to look elsewhere at your budget WayneS, maybe keep what you have for now.

Lots of things can and no doubt will change once the free money stops supposedly next month when the real job cutting starts and reality hits home, might be wise to bide your time and leave things for now, maybe look again next spring.

Much as i love my LC5, if it got written off today there's no way i'd pay the prices being asked now, i could probably get back today what i paid for it around 4 years ago given its overall condition and even i would baulk at that because its simply ridiculous, not as i'm looking to sell.
WayneS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dafydd and Juddian
Thank you both for your wise insight and for replyig. You are right -Sadly I've come to the realisation that I'm not likely to find a good one that I can afford: they certainly hold their money - no doubt a testiment. I'm going to view a LWB 3.2 D-ID Shogun instead tomorrow: LWB, sensible miles and really good history. Not a LC but affordable and I believe best compramise I can make minimising risk.
Thanks again
Wayne
Juddian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck whatever you buy WayneS, those Mitsi's seem decent enough motors for much more sensible money than Toyotas are currently up for.
drew m

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yeah shoguns are ok I've had a 2005 shogun for a few years now as well as a 1999 colorado, been lucky with the shogun so far but you got to check the fuel filler pipes they're bad for roting out and allowing water to enter tank, the shogun fuel pump does not like water it destroys them pretty quickly, not much change from 2000 to sort out, go to shogun forum and do some research.
Cheers Drew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: