NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Changing from XC90 to Prado...am I on the right track?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetAs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 17:10    Post subject: Changing from XC90 to Prado...am I on the right track? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I currently own a 2003 XC90. As much as I like this vehicle, its getting old and Im getting fed up of the costly parts bill when something goes wrong, high vehicle tax and insurance. Its the Exec model, all the trimings but we never use any of it so it seems pointless. All I care about is 4WD, reliability and hested seats lol. I priced it up and I can save 700 a year on Tax and Insurance alone as t.

Im looking at picking up a 2001/2002 Prado and want to make sure Ive not overlooked something or made an assumption where I shouldnt have. Im thinking this is the best year in terms of styling (really not a fan of the dash in the newer one) and capability.

Prado -

Cheaper to tax (£200-£330?)
Cheaper to insure
Cheaper parts
Easier to work on
More reliable
Easy to service

When I go look at one I need to check -

Cambelt - this isnt a big job though if I need to do it, is that right?
Rad issues
Diff locks - If the light doesnt stay on then they are shot and Im looking at £350ish from a scrappy?

Its going to be used as a workhorse, transporting timber, towing and a bit of off roading, nothing major. Ive got 3 kids and a german shepard so I need LOTS of space lol.

Im all ears if Ive overlooked something so by all means let me know.

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 17:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

diggerdave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed out rust. These are better than many other contemporary 4x4s but be realistic. Sills and rear of the chassis as well as the rear axle including the towers that support the upper control arms.

Rear diff lock will most likely be broken. You can use the car without it and it's still very capable. £400 for a new part and lots of time and swearing to fit but worth it, especially if you're going to use it for green laning since it gives you an edge if you do get into a sticky spot.

I'm not sure about the cheaper parts! They are getting more scace on teh scrap market and new partscan be pricy although, reassuringly, most parts seem to be available still.

You don't say where you are from, but I assume the UK? At 2001/2 the UK market version is the Colorado, while the Prado is the rest of the world name. The UK Colorado usually has a rear difflock, while the Prado has all sorts of different specs depending on the market. If you are looking in the UK, then generally the imported Prados will have a limited slip diff instead in the rear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: