Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Water in oil sump?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crabru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:42    Post subject: Water in oil sump? Reply with quote

Before I take spanner to engine thought I'd ask......
I've just recently done an EGR clean right through to the inlet manifold. Half a bucket of carbon removed.
Put all back together and after about 100miles had major breakdown.

On initial inspection the engine oil was high so I drained some of it and found there was maybe a pint
of antifreeze in the sump.
Doubting what I did first my question is - the EGR cooler has coolant running through it could this be the problem
and have found it's way into engine or is it more likely an unlucky coincidence and the head gasket has blown.
Cruiser has done 150K.
Any ideas?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 13:31    Post subject: Re: Water in oil sump? Reply with quote

Crabru wrote:
Before I take spanner to engine thought I'd ask......
I've just recently done an EGR clean right through to the inlet manifold. Half a bucket of carbon removed.
Put all back together and after about 100miles had major breakdown.

On initial inspection the engine oil was high so I drained some of it and found there was maybe a pint
of antifreeze in the sump.
Doubting what I did first my question is - the EGR cooler has coolant running through it could this be the problem
and have found it's way into engine or is it more likely an unlucky coincidence and the head gasket has blown.
Cruiser has done 150K.
Any ideas?

Around 2005 upwards the 120 egr cooler does have coolant  running through it , if you undid the 12mm nut halfway along the egr cooler so you could line up the egr valve when reassembled the egr valve or levered the cooler outward to slip in a blanking plate and were too rough levering the cooler and cracked it inside OR forgot to tighten the 12mm nut that holds the egr cooler in place the engine vibration can crack the cooler inside and leak coolant into the engine and if quite bad will hydrolock the engine leaving it knackered , if it is leaking your best bet is to fit a electronic egr valve delete like a ozbush manual mapper or other make , then fit a full egr blanking plate at the engine side of the egr cooler and undo the coolant pipe at the egr cooler and bypass it so no more coolant can leak into the engine , if you look on youtube there is a guy called winniliss who bypasses the egr cooler after fitting a ozbush manual mapper and full egr blanking plate , look up on youtube under the title 2009 D4D EGR block using manual mapper , the cost of a ozbush manual mapper is about £100 , and is fitted in 10 minutes , I have had one for about 5 years now , I will be bypassing the egr coolant by diverting the coolant pipe next time I do a coolant change , if it is the EGR cooler that is leaking coolant I would bypass the egr cooer so that no more coolant goes through it straight away and fit a blanking plate if you do not want a electronic egr delete you can fit a blanking plate with a 7mm hole and that will allow you to bypass the egr cooler and with the much reduced egr frow and the egr cooler will not need coolant to stop it getting too hot .
Crabru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony.
Plan is to get car undercover take out the injectors and turn it over and see what happens, Hopefully it will turn
and the cylinders will blow out any rubbish.
I did consider a 7mm blanking plate but decided to leave alone. I now think I'll fit the 7mm and bypass the ECG cooler just
to get back on the road. Looks easy enough to bypass cooler just a short piece of copper pipe.
I'll also have a look at the manual mapper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: