4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Coolant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boonie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:53    Post subject: Coolant Reply with quote

Hi I have Toyota LC 80 on a 95/96 plate, I’m just about to flush the heater matrix cooling system and would like to know if I can use any branded coolant or does it need Toyota only? And what what is the mix ratio?
Any advice tips would be appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rich42td

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota Red (Ready Mix) coolant would be your best bet.
rich42td

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another deep hole but after a lot of reading I decided to use Toyota Red coolant as firstly this is what Toyota recommends.

Japanese engines were designed to be compatible with very different corrosion inhibiter packages that use either Phosphate Inorganic or Sebcate/Benzoate Organic based coolants that offer good protection of aluminium found in radiator cores and the majority of most Japanese engine blocks/heads.
Problem with Phosphate based inhibiters is that they react with hard water and cause precipitation of the inhibitors, so these coolants should only be mixed with distilled water.
Sebcate based inhibitors used in Toyota Pink are also incompatible with the tin-lead solder used in brass radiator cores such as early 1HDT engines.

Western engines tend to be compatible with either Silicate Inorganic or 2-EHA Organic based coolants and good protection of cast iron and aluminium.
Silicate based coolants tend not to have the anti-cavitation properties of Japanese coolants.
2-EHA based coolants can react with certain materials used in gasket and O-rings.
There are also hybrid coolants that consist of both Inorganic and Organic inhibitors.

The 1HDT or 1HDFT engines use either brass or aluminium radiators depending on year so the best bet would be to use either a Phosphate or the Benzoate based Toyota Red ready-mix coolant.
All coolants concentrates are ~95% Glycol (~47% if ready-mix) but is the remainder that determines its compatibility.

Just to confuse matters, my wife’s Suzuki has an all-aluminium engine and radiator (J20A) but the local main dealership is owned by GM so they supply DEXCOOL coolant which is 2-EHA.  I was a little suspicious of this so decided to use Honda Type-2 which is a Hybrid coolant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: