Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Water pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew m

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:49    Post subject: Water pump Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking to replace the water pump on my 1999 swb 90, I see you can buy 2 different types 1 seems to need more dismantling to fit,I would appreciate any guidance on this replacement if anyone has done this before.
Thanks Drew
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced mine with the type that requires more dismantling, I forget exactly why I picked it, but I think it was a recommended upgrade pump on Roughtrax when I was buying it.

It's not too much more effort to fit, you have to remove more timing covers etc and if theres ever an issue with it obviously it will be more work again to remove it but if fitted correctly there shouldn't be any need to have to remove it before the next timing belt job.

Watch out for the 2 timing belt tensioner bolts, 1 of mine broke and had to drill it out and luckily enough it drilled out ok. Get the belt slacked off before removing the tensioner as I think there was still some strain on my tensioner which, may have caused the bolt to break but I'm not sure, might have been going to break anyway. They are only scrawny little bolts.
drew m

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, done some research and opted for the one that requires least dismantling from roughtrax I bought fan belts as well, might as well do them to as they're almost at full adjustment, I'll give it a coolant change too, done cam belt a few months ago, I'll post up how it went once I do it.
Cheers Drew
MisterCruiser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've to remove the viscous fan to do the pump so may as well do that little service too, there's a little guide on here if you search, but it's handy, just few bolts/screws to open it and check there's still oil in it, the reason some folk found it empty was a bit of a mystery if I remember in the thread. Mine still had oil in it so I just put it back together.
drew m

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check that while I have it off.
Drew
drew m

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.
Replaced water pump  and belts yesterday and everything went well, a bit awkward to get nuts off water pump pulley as you have to find a way to lock pulley to stop it turning, all  in all pretty straight forward, putting new belts on water pump pulley and then fitting pulley on  pump is easier than trying to fit belts after fitting pulley first, asin pump from roughtrax looks and feels a quality part, these trucks have great build quality having had this 1999 colorado since 2001 and only replaced a starter motor, 2 brake discs, and now water pump, + usual brake pipes and pads and can't believe it's still the original complete exhaust system, I intend to see just how long I can keep this truck on the road.
Drew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: