4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New owner after advice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Naylor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 22:55    Post subject: New owner after advice! Reply with quote

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster...

I bought my first Land Cruiser a couple of months ago and I'm after a little bit of advice/direction. It's a 2007 LC5 manual with 104k on the clock, excellent condition all round. Very little rust underneath, could tell the protection had been kept up together, full Toyota service history. I've given it a paint and spray underneath, will check that after winter to make sure all is well still! No outstanding recalls on it etc. Everything works on it, drives and starts fine (a little rattly on cold mornings when first started but quietens down soon enough). I remember driving a D-4D Hilux that was much the same. Judging by the Sat Nav saved locations I think the previous owners used it to drive to France and back so guessing its had a fairly easy life. Generally very pleased with it, and its not got stuck whilst off road at work (so far)... Thanks to the various people on here posting and sharing their knowledge, I would off been lost looking for a LC without it and it led me to find this (I hope) excellent example, I guess time will tell!

Got to ford a small river to get to where I'm working next week, am I right in thinking that the wading depth of a factory standard J120 is 700mm? How do they like wading, anything I need to bear in mind?

Anyway, I digress, as with cars of an age the odd things go wrong. I'm after a couple of parts if someone could point me in the right direction to find them at a decent price. Firstly I need the switch on the gearbox that turns the reverse lights on when reverse is engaged. Secondly, earlier this week the front windscreen de-fogger stopped working. All the buttons on the controls and touch screen work and there is plenty of hot air still been pumped into the cabin, however, it is all directed into the footwells. After a bit of process of elimination, I think it's the heater actuator that's gone so I'm after one off those as well. Does anyone know where the heater actuator is located before I go on a dashboard stripping wild goose chase!

One last query whilst I'm here. I noticed whilst checking the fluid levels that the coolant reservoir was on the minimum mark Wednesday this week, topped it up, and today (Saturday) it was back on minimum. I can see there is, what I assume is, an overflow pipe on the cap. Was just wondering if the minimum mark or close to it is the natural level that it settles at or I might have a potential leak somewhere?

Sorry, quite a lot to un-pack there... any help or advice anyone can send my way will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Steve.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 22:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Steve Naylor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:07    Post subject: Problem Solved! Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Finally got round to sorting out the issue with the heating system so thought I'd post an update incase anyone else finds they have a similar problem.

So it was a servo that had gone which was stopping the heating system from directing the air to the windscreen de-mister vents. Toyota call the part a Servo Sub-Assy, Damper. The dampers are little plastic boxes with a small cog and motor inside which moves depending on the setting selected; it's the cog that tends to wear and thus stop moving properly. There are four or three dampers in the J120's depending on model/spec.

1.  Dual Passenger/Driver option (if you have this).
2.  Air Mix hot or cold.
3.  Air Circulation (re-circulate or bring fresh air in).  
4.  Mode/Direction (footwell vents or windscreen).

Mode was the damper that had gone on mine, it was stuck on footwell mode. If your heating system is not functioning properly, ie just hot or just cold air, not sending air where you select etc and the buttons/screen seem to work fine it might be worth replacing the relevant damper. Much cheaper than replacing the screen/console or HVAC system. I've copied a link to the Air Mode Damper I purchased. As always with parts make sure when buying you get the right one for the problem and it fits your model of vehicle. A common way to diagnose a problem with the dampers is when you have selected a maximum output option you can hear a clicking/scratching noise from behind the dash. For example if you only get cold air, select Maximum heat/cold and listen for a clicking sound. This is the cog trying to move to the Heat option but not being able to. It doesn't always make a clicking noise, as was the case with mine.

As for their location... they are installed behind the dash both on the driver and passenger side. No.1, 2 and 3 are behind the glove box. whilst number 4 is right up behind the dash on the drivers side above the pedals. You have to strip absolutely everything out from the dash to get to them. I didn't do the work my self but I was told it is a right pain! Not especially difficult, just very very fiddly and time consuming. The damper is held in by three screws and it is just a wire connection to remove.

Hopefully someone will this useful!

Cheers, Steve.

e bay.co.uk/itm/192561585705
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: