Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

steering issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonecutter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17    Post subject: steering issues Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I have a 2004 LC5 and for some time now it feel like the car is driving me rather than the other way round.

if you drive over any small ruts or grooves in the road it feel like you don't have control, its like steering a boat at times!

I have had all the bushes replaced and both the front links, good tyres all round. Its been looked at by 2 separate mechanics on 2 separate occasions and they both say they cant find anything wrong?

Any clues or advice gratefully received. Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Juddian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be any one thing or combination of several, here's where i would be looking.
1. Tyres, correct pressures, all 4 the same type similar tread depths and the right way round if directional,  4WD vehicles do not like mix and match tyres or large variance in tread depths.
2. Wheel alignment, front wheels towing out can give a very unpleasant feeling, more so than toe-in in my opinion, castor important too, also measure wheelbase both sides.
3. Check the steering column universal joint, just atop the steering rack isn't seizing up.
4. Prop shafts greased and the sliders actually sliding.
5. Brakes, sounds like it won't affect this but our vehicles are notorious for caliper seizing, if my memory serves its the inner lower piston that normally seizes first on the front 4 pot jobbies,  check brakes all round, check wheel bearings at the same time.
6. Shock absorbers and springs all good, not been lifted has it?

If you can't find anything,  you can sometimes diagnose issues by getting someone else to drive your vehicle over sections of road you know will cause the problem, you follow in another car watching from all angles how your vehicle performs.
stonecutter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi And thanks for taking the time to reply.

1. The tyres are all good almost new, I had them changed as I thought it was the old tyres that were causing the problem
2. the wheel alignment has all been done
3. not sure about this one but it's the opposite of seized the steering is sloppy!
4. the props all good and greased
5. brakes and bearings are all ok too
6. the shocks and springs have all been replaced when I took out the air suspension
I had this steering problem before I had all the work done on the car, I was hoping that after all the work was done it would be better
one mechanic suggested I swap the tyres around when he couldn't find anything else wrong I am hoping to them swapped this week

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: