Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New Owner Maintenance Advice

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS if you do use a knife cover the blade with a thin cloth so as to avoid scratching the trim whilst levering the switchers or trim .
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 13:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot your important bit of info Tony, probably because I found even wth thin cloth, it tore or was too thick.
Maybe it was me, but got the job done without the use of BFH ! 😀
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip from Tony there about pre soaking the filter with oil, i'll do that next oil change.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too ! The Wise Man has many good ideas.

Good comments on the Net, Judd. 👍
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tractionman wrote:
Me too ! The Wise Man has many good ideas.

Good comments on the Net, Judd. 👍

Eh?, appreciate the compliment TM but you kinda lost me re comments, are you talking about another place?
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a bit vague, sorry mate. Try this then, maybe even vaguer, haha. Big wheels where our careers cross and RR and CF are 🤔
Juddian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tractionman wrote:
Yeah a bit vague, sorry mate. Try this then, maybe even vaguer, haha. Big wheels where our careers cross and RR and CF are 🤔

Ah yes had an idea that was the place, one can't help saying what's on one's mind sometimes, even if one is completely wrong  Twisted Evil  it has to come out.
So many times i've tried to stop caring that the world we know and care about is being systematically ruined, because for one thing my pointless waffle won't change anything, but the complacency and compliance of so many just gets to me  Embarassed
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it Juddian, and from an outsider, I completely get it. Some of the antics are quite amusing. 🤣
Cheers mate.
Ibex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my current Prado last year, it was a 2006 LC5 with not quite 50k miles on it. It's in really good condition and, as I was feeling a bit flush at the time after 8 months working away on contract, I decided to have it professionally rust protected rather than be crawling about on my driveway under it in December like I have always done before.

The company I chose was Rustbuster Ltd because they use a range of Corrolan product which is very similar to Lanoguard as it uses lanolin rather than the waxoil type. They operate a franchise system and I found a place not too far from me. He wanted the car first thing in the morning and promised it back by teatime the following day. A really nice chap who went above and beyond when the main key refused to work on my car! He had just driven me back to the B&B so he was on his own. He came back to collect me before taking me to a shop for a new battery in the key, back to the garage to prove it worked - and then took me back to the pub again. I also got a deal through him at the local pub for B&B for the wife and I! He rang me again later  in the morning to ask how the rear wheel was lowered from under the boot floor. As I had just bought it, I had no idea, but between us we worked it out!

The car was steam cleaned before mechanically cleaning and finishing off with stuff called FE-123 on any remaining rusted areas. Then the car is thoroughly dried ( I would have needed to wait for July for this bit) before the Corrolan Active is hot sprayed into cavities, sills , chassis and body work. Then Corrolan Penetrator  gets into Subframes , suspension etc. Then the whole lot gets a blast with Corrolan Pure. The underneath looked a pale khaki colour when it was finished, but it dries to translucent after a few weeks. As well as a certificate I also got a thumbdrive with a load of photos of before, during and after the car's process. The cost was £600 inc VAT. They do an annual inspection and touch up where necessary for £100, which I haven't taken them up on yet, but will have a good look under the car in Spring and see how well it has fared.

It was a chunk of money, but given the condition of the car I feel I wanted to preserve my investment as much as I could as it is now in Lancashire and no longer in the balmy Home Counties!
TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done . As long as it does the job to kill the rust and to preserve it from futher rust its well worth the £100 a year to keep it in good condition ,  with it being transparent you will know if it worked . I would not spray it with black underseal any time soon incase it has not worked as the underseal will hide any further rusting that you will not see until its too late that excessive rot has taken place ,
Tractionman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ! Sounds like you found a good chap there, so many just want to cover up what's there without doing any/much prep, that's why many of us get stuck in ourselves, to make absolutely sure. A time consuming and filthy job on the drive.
Now the vehicle and you are in a different locaton, the yearly £100 will increase quite a lot if you have to travel ??
Beekeeper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see another one being conserved.  I've spent most of the summer fettling mine and it's running really well.  No trouble in the recent -11 degrees we had a couple of weeks ago.  Still a few jobs to do, and an MOT in February.  I've used the often criticised German Autodoc website a couple of times and found them to be really good.  Complete set of fan belt idler pulleys, good quality not Chinese, way less expensive than the best I could find in the UK, and best price on bonnet struts too.  Delivered inside a week.

I now wonder about a couple of things:

Is is over ambitions to take an almost 19 year old motor on a 2000+ mile skiing trip to Italy?
What are the long term prospects of the 120 compared to a new or almost new 150 while they're still built with a real engine?

The 120 is pretty easy to work on, has no adblue, and is manual.  Should be possible to repair even if the long trip throws up any problems.  A newish 150 is automatic only and has the adblue and DPF systems to contend with.  No rust though if it's new enough.

I also wonder on a flight of fancy about importing a new 70 series, although basic would seem to be an understatement.

I probably now need to take the 120 to Italy having invested in the show chains, headlamp converters and UK sticker!
Dafydd Wynn Williams

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ibex,

Pleased to hear you have come across a diligent rustproofing operator.  My 2004 120 would benefit from a halt in corrosion but disability prevents me getting underneath. Since the operator is equally, if not more, important than the product could you let me know who your seemingly excellent operator is please?

Many thanks,

Dafydd  WW.
Ibex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no hesitation in recomending Arwyn Jones of AJ Rust Protection Services, who is pretty much on your doorstep at Unit 4 , Cuckoo Oak Workshops, Halesfield 18, Telford, TF7 4PP Tel 07761 317621. You need to book it in as I don't think he does more than one car at a time.

Whilst you're there I can also recommend a tour of Ironbridge and its various museums - and a few decent cafes as well.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beekeeper, if you look back on the120 forum someone took theirs across out through France and beyond, so as long as the lc is up to scratch, there is a better chance than all the other makes that go everywhere successfully.

As for the basics of a new 70 series, unless Toyota have completely lost the plot with cutbacks, they shouldn't be bad at all.
My old 1992 78 import, while a bit more agricultural, but not uncomfortable, than the more refined 120, I would still be happy to take anywhere.
That came off the line with some good future proof kit at the time like a/c, electric tilt and slide sunroof, electric windows, electric mirrors, heated rear window, winter pack. Pretty good kit for 4x4 at the time and still is, that would/could be extras on some vehicles even now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: