Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Change the injectors or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillEndure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 14:13    Post subject: Change the injectors or not? Reply with quote

KDJ95 Prado. Hoped techstream would tell me what I needed to know, but I think on this older model you don't get as much data as on slightly newer ones. Any thoughts, or other symptoms I should be looking for?

Its done 212,000 miles.
    I have service stamps and many receipts from previous owner, but none for injectors, so don't know if they have been changed before. Cannot still be in spec at 212K if they are originals.
    Definitely less noisy once it warms up.
    No smoke on start.
    Techstream data inconclusive. When idling at zero load, injection volume is around 10mm3, have seen it jump up to 13mm3.
    Drives good, no issues with power loss or using too much fuel.

Leaning towards just replacing them for peace of mind since they are rattly when cold. Maybe its just the washers needing replaced.

Warmed up techstream readings:

Cold techstream readings:
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 14:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to check if the washes are leaking on 120 , 150 , hilux 95s probably the same you can look up through the oil drain hole with the drainplug removed whilst doing an oil change , at 212k miles if the injectors have not being changed will likely need changing as will the injector washes and Orings , I dont know if your ECU has the facility to give out injector values on the tecstream model that you have as that could be why you are not getting a reading . You could always try contacting the former owner if you can trace them and ask if the injectors have ever been replaced . Some one came to see me with a 2001 95 D4D with around 145k miles after a friend of mine asked me if I would take a look at his car for him as the Toyota dealers told him the injector values were over the limit, the car had a bad vibrating engine at tickover hot or cold and lacking in power , I could not connect my tecstream to it because the scart type socket which was in the engine bay was of the large type why bigger than the scanner plug I had , but what I did notice was his map filter was cracked at the bottom half in 3 places and the maf sensor was dirty and the Oring on it was snapped and had silicone on it on out side to seal it , I cleaned his maf sensor and sealed it for him but no change in rough idle  , I told him to get a new oring for the maf sensor 2mm x 28mm and new Map filter and to let me know if it cured the rough idle and low power but I never herd from him so dont know if cured his problem , he did say that he had toyota dealers fit the red and green SCVs at around 500 euros and saving up to have them fit new injectors at around a staggering 5 euro grand all in including pipes and fitting . But like I said I never heard from him again , I did see him drive past me on the road not long ago so he still has the car .
WillEndure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

TONYCY11 wrote:
Well to check if the washes are leaking on 120 , 150 , hilux 95s probably the same you can look up through the oil drain hole with the drainplug removed whilst doing an oil change

Sadly not on the 95 series. I already tried to do this but the oil drain hole is not positioned in a way that makes the pick up screen visible. Need to drop the sump to check it, which is on my list of jobs but its a PITA just to take a look.

Was also thinking of getting the valve cover off and seeing if there are any sooty deposits in there that might suggest there is injector blowby.
WillEndure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I did find another post of techstream readings from a Colorado 95.

This is the same as mine, giving injector readings titled "Revised Injection Volume #1/#2/#3/#4" but with values that look like a set of injector feedback values. So I think "Revised Injection Volume" must be the same thing as "Injector Feedback", its just got a different name on the 95.

On mine these are all sitting at 0.003. So perhaps my injectors are in fact very new and functioning perfectly?

In which case maybe the cold running rattle is something else.

[img]https://www.spam/community/attachments/20220501_222335-jpg.323125/[/img]
WillEndure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image link didn't work so will try again. Here is someone elses techstream screenshot from a 95 Colorado. Same as mine has "Revised Injection Volume" instead of "Injector Feedback" but I guess those must be the same thing just different name on the 95.

TONYCY11

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your readings look much better than that one , your injection volume is lower as well which is good , full operating temp on  120s ,150s and Hilux 1KD-FTV are 83 to 85 c  that is when you base the accurate reading , dont know what the full operating temp on your 95 1KD  is ,
WillEndure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 is as hot as I could get it today. I have put on an extra cooler for the auto box, and its getting a bit colder here, so maybe that is why my cooling is being so effective.
WillEndure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like my injector 0.003 readings cannot be right though. Just watched another fourby4diesel video on youtube showing a truck with brand new injectors and they were all around +/- 0.1 to 0.4. Maybe the 0.003 is just a default it gives when it reads nothing.

Any idea what the Injection Volume should be? fourby4diesel has that sitting around 7.0 for a new set.

https://youtu.be/1RSkCWLC3V8?t=207
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: