Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Landcruiser chassis problems, help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 16:45    Post subject: Landcruiser chassis problems, help needed Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

New member here, desperately seeking someone able to repair/replace the chassis on  my much loved landcruiser. Already been reamed out by unscrupulous repair shop who by some miracle obtained an MOT. Underseal attempt revealed rot everywhere and no welding repair. Anyone know whether new chassis is available, or someone who can repair/rebuild the old one. 1997 swb 180k. Engine and gearbox faultless.

Fingers crossed, any advice please, can deliver or space available here.

Cheers
Magster
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 16:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveWall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch, there seems to be a lot of rip off merchants in the motor trade now... how bad is it?  there is only usually a few places that get 'bad' and a decent plate welded to the good metal around the areas is a surprisingly good long term fix if done well..  

SWB Chassis in good condition would probably be quite hard to find 2nd hand  if you are crazy keen could lift the body off strip the chassis and have it dipped and galvanized LoL
Magster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DaveWall,
Many thanks for your advice. I just spent 2 full days searching the interweb. Toyota quote 5k plus for swb chassis but no longer manufacture! Perhaps a gap in the after market manufacturers here?

Used LWB are avallable at variable costs.  Has anyone tried shortening and modifying to fit to a swb vehicle?

My old chassis is reeeely sick, thanks to rip off motor repairers. I would gladly repair and dip/underseal if not so critically rusted.

Cheers folks.
Magster
JohnnyQ57

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:45    Post subject: Chassis Reply with quote

Magister
I posted something similar recently, see http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18772&sid=8f91bdd81b7d1ecda5a1c583738594d5
I’ve found, talking to Toyota, that some chassis parts are available, but not full chassis for my J95; it might be worth asking the question about yours though.
I’m lucky, in that I live on the Isle of Man and we don’t have MOT’s, so no bodging, just visible holes.
In an earlier life, I was involved with Landrovers and I’m very aware of LR replacement chassis parts to weld in and also replacement complete chassis. I’ve been emailing some of these guys, asking whether they do Landcruiser chassis, then saying “if not, why not? There’s a load of them out there”.
If I lived in the UK, then I might consider someone like this https://ircradockandsons.co.uk/services/automotive/ ; I have no personal knowledge of them, but they sound the sort of people to ask. Maybe someone else on the forum could suggest.
I’m sure that you and I aren’t the only people out there with chassis problems (I had a SWB with rot at the back but otherwise brilliant), so maybe if we (chassis sufferers) harass LR chassis people enough, then they might start making bits.
Good luck
JohnnyQ
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

're Craddock and sons, read some of the recent and not so recent threads on the other forum before you consider.
locodriver65

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:43    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi
Years ago when I owed a Land Rover Mark 2 for ten years (Which was ex army 1966, I think its still on the road, it must have had a new chassis and everything else by now.)
John Craddock was very helpful.
I have purchased stuff from the shop in Cannock Staffs not far from where I live, Not so helpful now, More interested in their computer screens to talk to customers in the shop.

Just a sign of the times

Paul
Tractionman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

👍 Always good to get varied experiences/opinions on suppliers/anything, but the original post on the other side goes way beyond what someone would expect from anyone when parting with  your hard earned cash.   Nuff said.
Jim Thomson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only recently completed all the common rust repairs required on my 2000 Colorado. I used to teach car restoration in the evenings at our local college so although I didn't work full time as a panel beater I am fully qualified to do so. Only ever put my skills into practice on a hobby basis. I would love to help you out but I live in Fife, Scotland. However, depending on your circumstances it may be worth considering a short holiday in the area - golf close by at St Andrews? I still have all my welding gear and a 6 bay garage!  If you are interested, please pm me to discuss options. I can send photos of the repairs I did on my car to illustrate what I can do.  I am nearing retirement and still enjoy working on cars. I can give you an idea of costs involved prior to you considering what to do next.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great offer Jim👍
Have you seen the date on the post, I suspect he may have moved on by now ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: