Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

new boy 90 series "improvements"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norfolk & Clue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://ibb.co/VpgWkT7

Regarding paint:
I call it John Major grey, it doesn’t look too good I would agree!

I tried numerous combinations of paint and more importantly primer. On my first attempt (there were many!) the plastic, vinyl and rubber (the material used to make the door handles) came out really nicely as in the photo above but as the weeks progressed it changed from a nice mat/ satin black to high gloss. I can only assume that the oil in the plastic was leaching through the paint?

Here is my technique in brief:
Clean all parts with new Gunk the environmentally friendly pink product, use a scrubbing / nail brush and use rotary movements NOT side to side, when you use rotary movements, you see the suds go brown. WEAR GOGGLES AND GLOVES, it is quite caustic stuff.

Rinse with water.
Wipe with isopropyl alcohol
Sand with a MAROON scotchbrite, go gently and be sure that it is not causing any scratches, you should hardly notice it making any difference.  
Here is the bit that makes it work!
Spray with Zinsser primer sealer use the red can not the new beige can.
Prime with Halfords body shop primer
Finish with Halfords matt black which is about 30% gloss so not a dead matt finish.
It takes a few weeks to fully harden but seems very durable so far. And no leaching, still the same gloss level.

Let me know if you want hints on how to replace the fabric in the door card with vinyl. Made lots of errors here before I got the technique sorted.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Norfolk & Clue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re wireless charging:
I took apart a wireless charger and hooked it up to a 12v – usb power supply and then bonded it to the underside of the centre console tray.
My car is an auto so there isn’t much clearance between the arm that comes off the gear selector and the underside of the circuit board.
As a precaution I covered this arm in two layers of duct tape.
Initially I glued it in place with silicon but it fell off after about a week, so I used STORMSURE flexible rubber adhesive. You know this is the right stuff as soon as you open the tube because it smells like a shoe repair shop ie ideal for bonding surfaces that are hard to glue. At the same time I added in a twin usb port.
Norfolk & Clue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re apple car play

I bought this unit from Amazon. (search for OXc8). At the time it had good reviews but last time I looked it had bad reviews.
The interface for the DAB is almost impossible to use and doesn’t have any BBC stations on it, so if I was buying it again I would save a few quid and get the version with no DAB and just use BBC sounds on my phone.

I have had no problems at all with it. It seems to link to my phone as soon as I get in the car and I really like the reversing camera, it works brilliantly!
I have a 22-plate car and this unit works just as well. Ie Spotify or BBC sounds, maps and hands free calls via Siri- can’t fault it.
Re the graphic, the head unit graphic is a bit clumsy and in a sub/ sub / sub menu so hard to use/ adjust on the go. I am a hifi nerd in my spare time so this was a quick and easy solution for me.

bet tzedek
DaveWall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you re DAB - my android unit has a USB plug in DAB interface, was rubbish until I fitted the 3rd DAB antenna properly, now its working a treat!

I then downloaded DAB-Z orwhatever its called from the play store... thing is I want Nav and DAB without HAVING to have my phone hooked up etc....  I know I could customise Andriod Auto etc and turn off notifications etc but call me old fashioned I just dont want everything on my phone being visible on the head unit etc, well I do sometimes I just want it to work standalone too...

Mine is a Pumpkin 10inch floating screen unit (PX5 driven)

I need to tidy up a bit of my trim so might start having a play...
DaveWall

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for the reverse camera, I put a toggle switch in rather than use the reverse power feed, much more handy... can flick the rear camera on and off at will... can check bikes on the bike rack while driving along etc... LoL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: