Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

pedders or omu or another Ahc delete?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dougk71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:31    Post subject: pedders or omu or another Ahc delete? Reply with quote

I have just purchased a beautiful 2001 4.7 v8 and I was wondering what is the best suspension system to replace the AHC. The car will be used pretty much entirely on the road and perhaps two once a year potentially.
I know there are a lot of posts but I am just starting the journey with this car!

Thanks in advance
Doug
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

locodriver65

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:40    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi.

Would your LC be Duel Fuel ???

Regards

Paul
Dougk71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it has lpg fitted as well … just got it from a local guy who has cherished it for years!
Absolutely love it!
steven.miles3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 13:25    Post subject: Re: pedders or omu or another Ahc delete? Reply with quote

Dougk71 wrote:
I have just purchased a beautiful 2001 4.7 v8 and I was wondering what is the best suspension system to replace the AHC. The car will be used pretty much entirely on the road and perhaps two once a year potentially.
I know there are a lot of posts but I am just starting the journey with this car!

Thanks in advance
Doug

Hi Doug,

May I ask why you want to replace you AHC? Is there a fault? Or have you just been 'put off' by all the 'naysayers'?

What's the mileage on you beautiful 100?
Dougk71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
it’s done 143k (miles) … just want it to be bullet proof without the need for the hydraulics…
I have read so much which is the problem!!
Still functioning perfectly though at the moment
Cheers
Doug
steven.miles3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougk71 wrote:
Hi
it’s done 143k (miles) … just want it to be bullet proof without the need for the hydraulics…
I have read so much which is the problem!!
Still functioning perfectly though at the moment
Cheers
Doug

Hi Doug,

Have a look at my replies in the post 'Headlight adjustment rusted arm' on this forum, on how the two separate suspension systems work together on a 100 series. Just to save me typing it all over again.

The main problem with the AHC system on the 100 is that, everyone just ignores it, it is a serviceable item, just like you service your engine, would you let you engine oil do 143k before you changed it, and still expect your engine to run perfectly, of course you wouldn't.

Yes, there is AHC fluid that needs to be changed, but there are other itemes that need to be checked and changed and serviced, both on the 'mechanical and the 'hydraulic' sides of the two very different suspension systems fitted to the 100.

The folk that have ripped the AHC out are the ones that have let it wear out, then blame Toyota for fitting a '*beep*' system, I assure you, you will not have as good a ride with a fixed system, AHC is far superior on and 'off road' in comparison to other 'non modified' cars.

Yours being a petrol it in most likley fitted with 'A' Track and not with a rear diff lock ?
Dougk71

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steven
I will have a look at the post and the ih8mud posts too.
I honestly don’t know re the diff lock … there is no diff lock button but there is a button on the dash on the right hand side!!
steven.miles3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougk71 wrote:
Thanks Steven
I will have a look at the post and the ih8mud posts too.
I honestly don’t know re the diff lock … there is no diff lock button but there is a button on the dash on the right hand side!!

I know we have gone off topic, but...

The 100 as opposed to the 80 only had rear difflock fitted, 80 had both front and rear in the European market, if you haven't got a difflock switch then you must have A Track, heres a good link to understand how it works.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-trac-101.537946/
Dougk71

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I must have tempted fate as the rear right shock has decided to dump the Ahc
Fluid!
Anyone recommend between any of the replacement systems out there? Pedders are out of stock according to the importer.
Thanks again in advance
Doug
knicko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougk71 wrote:
Well I must have tempted fate as the rear right shock has decided to dump the Ahc
Fluid!
Anyone recommend between any of the replacement systems out there? Pedders are out of stock according to the importer.
Thanks again in advance
Doug

Hi Doug,

I've replaced my AHC system with a Pedders conversion within the last month and I'm very happy with it. The AHC sprang a leak on a pipe that probably would have been easy enough to replace, but I'd always promised myself to delete the AHC as down as the first problem arose, given that further problems would likely be queuing up and lead to a money pit.

I agree that the AHC is a great system but it does get tired even without leaks, so a brand new more basic non-hydraulic system won't feel like a demotion in reality.

If you are not planning on much towing or heavy load carrying, I suggest you opt for the standard Pedders conversion, rather than the upgraded version which will likely feel too stiff for light vehicle load. The standard Pedders kit will give a lift of one inch above the AHC (normally setting) ride height.

Roughtrax still have these in stock (code LK013) and I found they were actually cheaper than buying direct from Pedders.

Early days for me so can't comment on how the Pedders kit will last. No knowledge over other competitors either.

Good luck.

2003 Land Cruiser Amazon VX 100 series. 5 speed auto. 4.2 TD. 122000 miles.
Dougk71

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply looks like the only kits I can find is the old man emu or the Milner kit … probably go for the old man emu as pedders are going to be at least 6 months to come back into stock!
knicko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougk71 wrote:
Thanks for the reply looks like the only kits I can find is the old man emu or the Milner kit … probably go for the old man emu as pedders are going to be at least 6 months to come back into stock!

Try this...

https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/search/pedders/

knicko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard AHC set up is front 2 inches lower than rear.

Using the Pedders measuring system (lower edge of wheel rim to wheel arch, through centre line of wheel), my pre-conversion measurements were 31" on rear and 29" on front.

The pedders conversion gave 32" on rear (not adjustable), so asked the garage to adjust torsion bars to give 30" on front.

Drove for few hundred miles and then got garage to re-check various fixings, bushes etc and then make fine adjustments to torsion bars to get ride height spot on.

Dougk71

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick that is great!
eatapeach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougk71 wrote:
Fluid!
Thanks again in advance
Doug

revisiting this as surprise surprise my rear passenger shock also decided to start leaking.  I put the AHC into high for the first time in 2 months or so, and in the morning the rear was on its bump stops with the fluid on the drive.  Started the car, easy to spot the cause of the leak as it started t leak again but this time I caught it.  Usually with AHC you read about the spheres or pump going - above is the first leaking shock I've read about and now mine.

Like the poster above, I have always promised to replace the AHC once it started to give problems.  And I don't subscribe to the "you didn't maintain it" theory as maintenance in this case would involve AHC flush (I have owned this 100 for 10 years and done an AHC change in the past).  The problem is that age catches up with the components and I have the real fear that when they start to go they will all go in short order.  I could just replace the leaking shock and get another 5 years, but if not I'm then into new spheres, 4 shocks, sensors, pump etc etc before any corroded pipe issues.

Anyway, the replacement options seem to be Pedders (now out of stock at RoughTrax and Pedders), Milner's own brand, OME and Iron Man.  I don't want a lift or diff drop and want to keep it as close to standard ride height as possible.  

Are there other kits to consider?   I'm a bit unsure of the torsion bar replacement - how easy is it to DIY with the car on axle stands?   Seems like it would be a lot easier with a car lift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: