4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

LWB 90 Handbrake cable mechanism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colineddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 20:38    Post subject: LWB 90 Handbrake cable mechanism Reply with quote

Hi My LWB 90 handbrake is playing up.

Have had the drum's off - all present and correct in there.

It is not pulling on the drivers side (long cable side).

I had a look at the mechanism and it's not pulling the cable to the right hand side. That would explain a lot.

There is a junction of the three cables (shown in the pic).

I assume that this joint is meant to pivot at point 2? It's rigid.

I don't see how the cable can be pulled with this joint not being able to pivot.

So am I correct does this point need to pivot ?

Thanks,

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/k3nZ5SukbgotoQY18[/img]
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 20:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

modvrs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly sure mine pivots about point 2
colineddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks @modvrs

It was siezed to F and I didn't want to spend the £70 for a new handbrake cable (which I discovered is how you replce this joint)....

So I loosened it off half a turn washed it out loads with WD-10 while one of the kids did a gym workout on the handbrake handle, then loads of grease and.......bobs-your-uncle.

Pivots just fine now.
MikeJak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The handbrake surely is a fiddly affair on the 90. I’ve renewed it just few weeks ago shoes all the way to the cabin. Milner off-road does a replacement cable for very little money (less then 20£) snd is a good fit.
To be entirely honest I don’t remember if that tan pivots on point 2 marked on the pic but logic would suggest it should as it’s the only way for the system to shorten the cable going to the other drum and pull on the rh actuator.
On mine I found the short cables that attach the actuators to the shoes were really gunked up. Bit of heat and oil really helped.
colineddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes @MikeJak it's a reet fiddle especially getting the bits back in the drum behind the flange.

I actually made a tool from an old flat metal tyre lever to reach through the hole in the flange and depress the spring and turn the cap at the same time to install the the shoe retaining pins.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Uqi9KhoeLfmD2eV8[/img]

Worked a treat - have kept it in the 'don't use it very often but when I want it I really wnt it toolbox under the bench' for next time.

The actuators you mention are the bell cranks - one of mine was seized up mostly with sand and stuff but sorted in much the same way at the pivot on the cable further up. Luckily I didn't need to use heat which meant that I wasn't going to destroy the rubber cover which meant I didn't have to take the thing to bits I could just push the rubber back out of the way temporary.
MikeJak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever little tool!
I used a trim lever when installing mine, also found out that there are some slightly different designs of the discs that hold the springs… some more prone then others to ping off multiple times during installation…. So frustrating  Rolling Eyes
The bell crank were moving well on mine, the bit that was stuck was the cable hinge that connects to the actual shoe.. on both sides!
The crank bell set screw put on a bit of a fight but evenually loosened up. It’s really fiddly to set up the handbrake properly…
colineddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh OK I didn't have any trouble with that joint connection to the shoe this time round - yes in the past I have had it seize up.

The brake seems pretty poor no matter how much work I put into it and no matter how many parts I throw it it so I just make sure it's an MOT pass and leave it at that  Very Happy
MikeJak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, just rehauled it for the MOT.. passed last week with just an expected advisory for bushes needing replacing soon.
Agree about the design it’s just a bit old school…don’t trust it and always park in gear!
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately a Pivot - if you pull the bolt you'll see a bush (two halves) just pull them out, clean them up and lube with a Silicon grease and dont crank the bolt up too tight.
andy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for the handbrake modification dogbone, or watch it here Web Page Name
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been convinced about that longer dog bone thing

IMO you just need to follow the correct Toyota Proceedure for adjustment... which to be fair does seem a little illogical
andy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen people put a small bead of weld along the edge, cannot say that it works as never needed to.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's compensating for not having adjusted the whole setup in the right order....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: