4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Underbody protection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Parts Suppliers / Service Providers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy03

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 18:27    Post subject: Underbody protection Reply with quote

I have just had full underbody protection fitted to my 2003 Landcruiser (120). They were fitted by TBR in Harwich who can supply alloy guards for all models of Landcruiser. The manager Chris is a keen off-roader himself and he knows what he is talking about. TLOC members get a discount if you mention the club,
Roy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 18:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

24Seven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's ASFIR plates?

Can you post a picture of the front plate fitted, if you have a spare moment please.

I have spoken to Chris also, seems a nice guy.
Roy03

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 19:37    Post subject: Underbody protection Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't know how to post pictures, but Trevor who works with Chris took some pictures , I think to put on their website. sorry I can't help personally, too old and stupid
Roy
24Seven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures?  (I could PM you my email address)

I would love to see them via email maybe? Smile and then I could post them for you if you wish Smile
Roy03

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:56    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote

If you let me have your Email address I will try and send you some photos of the front plate but bear with me as this testing my technical skills to the limit.
Roy
roy@roysimpson.wanadoo.co.uk
24Seven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Roy, very nice

Tommo&Claire
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you do all your own servicing?

If not how do Toyota/Garages feel about having to remove to plates to get to the engine, do they charge you extra??

2002 95 Series LC 3.0D4D, Grabber AT2s, Safari Snorkel.
1998 90 Series LC 3.0TD for Mrs T
2007 Rottweiler.
Roy03

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 13:16    Post subject: Servicing Reply with quote

The plates have all the main access points in them for servicing. I still get mine serviced by the main dealer (excellent service) and they've never made any comment. Well made piece of kit
Hope that helps
Roy
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same plates and I blocked up the holes as they just plane all the mud off the top and fill up the spaces under the engine. I service my own and pretty much every weekend I drop the plates for something. Honestly, they're easier to get off then the originals. The plates don't bolt directly to the chassis, the bolt onto a bracket then onto the chassis. If you unbolt the bracket not the plate, you can get the whole lot off with only 6 bolts. Taken a good beating so far with very little sign of damage. Still think that it would be very easy to make your own from 2 x 1m square sheets and a bit of steel strip. I did stick plans and measurements on here somewhere. You could do it without bending by actually making a simple joint in the front plate. Are they really worth what TBR sell them for? Not in terms of manufacturing in my view. In terms of actual protection - how much do you value your truck? But I don't reckon they're worth anymore than about £300 for both. I may fill the sides of the rear plate in where there is a gap between the plate and the chassis rail. This could be done easily with more plate or even rubber / plastic to keep the **** out

LC

Tommo&Claire
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus far i'm looking at :

1.  Replace tyres with BFGs
2.  2inch suspension lift to accomodate tyres
3.  Underbody protection plates

Do i need a snorkel for Morrocco??  What is the wading depth of a standard Colorado?

2002 95 Series LC 3.0D4D, Grabber AT2s, Safari Snorkel.
1998 90 Series LC 3.0TD for Mrs T
2007 Rottweiler.
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do Morocco without a Snorkel, but it depends on if you are travelling in a group and also the time of year.

It can get pretty dusty if you are driving in convoys where the snorkel can help provide the engine with cleaner air, espescially with a Donaldson pre filter on top.

We came through a fair bit of deep water when we were out there in April '07, but nothing that a lifted LC couldn't handle.  There was a lot more water last autumn/winter (worst rains for 40 odd years).

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Parts Suppliers / Service Providers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: