All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Landcruiser Colorado, prospective owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:01    Post subject: Landcruiser Colorado, prospective owner Reply with quote

Hi all, I have been looking for a suitable 4x4 vehicle, and had sort of settled on a Landrover Defender 110 stationwagon, until a mate of mine said, I know where there's a Toyota 4x4 for sale, oh, ok, lets take a look, to cut a long story short I was very impressed, and as I will be using it mostly on the road it looks a better bet than the Defender, but I would appreciate a bit of info from regular user's
it's a Landcruiser Colorado R reg ,98, 3.0 td engine,
what sort of fuel consumption can I expect, solo, and towing a small caravan?
can the 2nd row of seats and the two in the back be removed easily (due to my job it would help to have the extra clear floor space)
it has done 103.000 miles "none off road" what sort of life expectancy! has a Landcruiser? are they prone to any particular mechanical wear? are parts pricy? any areas prone to rust?
I had better stop there I think!! but thought you folks would be the people to ask. thanks in anticipation.. JIM
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

k1elliott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim.
Go for the cruiser. The landys are better off road but the cruiser is a far superior vahicle and holds its value better.
I have a 3.0td '97 prado which is the same as a colorado I believe.
I get about 27 mpg normal usage (some country) and from what I have read you can expect it to decrease to about 18 - 20 with tow.
Mines an auto so a manual might do better.
As far as parts are concerned, I haven't had any frights.
I'm getting the shcoks replaced tomorrow at 70 Euro a pop which aint bad in Ireland.
Millner off road sell all the bits for the colorado at very good UK prices.
The engines is very capable and much more powerful than the Paj or landRover.
If the car has been looked after then you should expect a lot more mies out of it with no problems from the engine.
Shocks go relatively quickly on them (apparently thay last only 50k) before they are stuffed - check how readiy it returns to stability after rocking it. its supposed to stop rocking after one sway.
Diff breathers get blocked and axle seals blow - check for oil in the rear drums. not a major problem.
Check the engine oil for colour and viscosity. If there's any white in it walk away, same for the coolant.
Check whether there are any stones etc stuck in hard to reach places under the chassis - it has probably been off road if this is the case.
The exhaust went on mine which was pricey.
I haven't read of anyone complaining of rust.
The dashboards rattle like a b*stard though - go over a few bumps when u drive it and watch the dash.

Not sure about the seats - I think you can remove the back row but with tools.
The middle row folds up against the back of the front seats which might help you out.
There is a lot of space in the back with the seats in their fully folded position.
HTH - I aint an expert just an owner btw.
Rgds.,
Ken
Jim Townsend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken food for thought, forgot to mention the one I am looking at has an auto box, it's one owner via a leasing company, with full service history etc, was a second car for the wife apparently,
I am always a bit cautious about experts, I like this definition of an expert_
X is an unknown factor, and Spurt is a drip under pressure,

JIM......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: