All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What are the buttons for???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valleyboy999

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:46    Post subject: What are the buttons for??? Reply with quote

Please can anyone give me some advice? I have recently bought a Prado LWB 1992 Auto. As with most people I cannot get hold of a manual for it only the Jap one which came with it which is as it suggests Japanese.

This is my second 4WD after a Freelander which is all preset no buttons to press.

There are several buttons and knobs which I either dont know what they are or where I should uses them:

ECT Power
H4
Hub Lock
Diff lock

Also do I need to change the oil in the Auto box? I have looked underneath and have found the drain plug and what appears to be the top up plug on the side ' like a wing nut type bolt'.

Any help advice appreciated.

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

JakeVS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:15    Post subject: Re: What are the buttons for??? Reply with quote

Hi Valleyboy

You might find some useful (and also not so useful) info in these threads:

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=108
http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=159

What I gathered from reading up on it (and of course, driving my own):
ECT on = rev higher before changing gears (great for when you pull a load)

H4 = High range 4x4 mode (i think the hub needs to be locked and 4x4 mode button pressed to really get into 4x4 mode, otherwise it's just high range rwd - on mine, the hub lock and 4x4 button are right next to each other)

Unfortunately mine does not have a diff lock button (so I assume it doesn't have a diff lock at all - bummer!)
- don't drive on normal roads with the diff lock on!. Others can probably explain better, but in my understanding, diff lock allows for power to be distributed to the wheels in even amounts. When you're stuck with one wheel in the air and diff lock is NOT on, then all the power would be transferred to the path of least resistance, ie. the wheel hanging in the air will just spin fast and the others won't move at all or very little.

I don't know anything about the gearbox oil sorry.

Other input, people?

Cheers
Jake
valleyboy999

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:14    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.

Paul
andy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Also do I need to change the oil in the Auto box? I have looked underneath and have found the drain plug and what appears to be the top up plug on the side ' like a wing nut type bolt'. }

I think that you should refill via the auto box dipstick tube, that's how you do it on surfs and other auto's that I have owned.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: