Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Need some tech info on diff locks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Douglas Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:28    Post subject: Need some tech info on diff locks Reply with quote

Planning to buy a 4x4 as an off-road toy. Looked at a H plate (1990, I think) toyota landcruiser VX turbo diesel.

Always wanted a 4x4 but have very limited knowledge on 4 wheel drive, differentials, locking hubs etc.

The TLC I looked at has a 5 speed manual tranmission and a pushbutton on the dash to engage/dis-engage the 4WD. The front hubs have manual locks.

Would I be correct in saying that in 4WD with the front hubs locked, I have the potential to drive all four wheel, though in reality (due to the front and rear diffs) will only be driving one front and one rear wheel ?

Can locking diffs be fitted ? is this recomended, costly etc ?

Are locking diffs required for off road driving, any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

seight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:11    Post subject: Diff locks Reply with quote

The later VX's have electronic diff-locks for both front and rear diffs. The car is permanent 4wd and when low ratio is selected the centre diff is then locked and the ABS disabled. If you still have problems getting through an obstacle you can turn the button on the dash that locks the rear diff and in the unlikely event of still being stuck you can then turn it further and lock the front diff too. I have used this system to extricate my VX from DEEP mud very successfully. You then simply turn the switch back and the diffs unlock again. There are warning lights on the dash to clearly show which diffs are locked at any one time. It is very easy and staightforward to use.
It would be cheaper (and IMO a better option) for you to spend a bit more on a later version which has these as standard: I believe from '94 the VX had them as standard and the GX and below they were an option.

Cheers
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Im guessing its an 80 series or less likely a 73 /74 seires.(Im not familiar with UK lic).
Its the same set up on my 73 series and it will get you a long way without diff locks.
One of its benefits is its simplicity and as your stated purpose is an "offroad toy" it is the perfect choice for future upgrades and home maintenance.

IMO a lifted and more flexible suspension kit with the right tyres are the 1st steps before lockers.

If you buy the vehicle there is range of aftermarket lockers.
The Detriot locker and the ARB air lockers are popular.
Dont rush into it ,drive it around and research to get the best option.
Its possible to fit the factory lockers but the electrical side turns many off.

If you put "diff locks" or similar into google it will give you heaps of info on how the different systems work.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you will find that it only seems to be the UK models that have these as standard. Imported VX limited sometimes have them and sometimes don't.

Centre Diff lock being locked automatically just puts you in the same position as a part time 4WD in 4WD (i.e. without a center diff). I have seen people advertising VXs with Diff locks and when it comes down to it they only have the centre diff lock - which isn't really as sales benefit because to be honest 4WD without the centre diff locked don't mean much, you still will be stuck in the mud at the end of the day if it is that bad.

One downside on the LC is that the Center diff lock only comes in with 4WD Low, a common mod is to put a manual override switch so that you can lock the center diff in High as well if you need to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: