4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1997 Colorado 3.0 TD Auto Fuel economy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madcatandhorse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 22:17    Post subject: 1997 Colorado 3.0 TD Auto Fuel economy Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if they find the fuel economy as bad as i do.

The log book indicates an average 25mpg. which is a figure we have never seen.
Minus the heavy right foot the best we have ever had is @ 20mpg.

When towing this goes down to @ 16 mpg

75 litres results in @ 350 miles and 270-300 when towing

Is this normal ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 22:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

24Seven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is low.

We get around 25 MPG mixed driving the best 27 MPG when taking it easy. (LWB auto)
Dave j

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

On average I get around 400 mile out of 1 tank full LWB auto
daveh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

20mpg around town, 30mpg on a run. Have managed 32mpg but fairly flat terrain.T owing a T/A caravan it drops to18mpg average
Had it chipped plus a  K &N filter, superb power increase & smoother through the revs but no change in mpg. Mine has run on biofuel for the last 40k & no problems pay 78p ltr. Try the bio-pwer website .they have distributors in Buxton & manchester. You may have to replace the fuel filter after the first tankful as the biofuel attracts all the residues in the tank.
24Seven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveh

Is yours a KZJ 90 (1KZ-TE engine) or a later KDJ model.

Was the chip a STEINBAUER P-Box or if not which one?

Cheers
madcatandhorse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in the chip. How much did the instalation cost and has that or the K & N filter affected your insurance ?

Ca n you also tell me where you got the chip from ?
Smile
daveh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

1KZ-TE engine.
The chip is a Tunit unit from Bromleys in Chorley Lancs. It took me 1hr to fit. It was a case of soldering the lead wires from the chip into wires on the ECU. A bit fiddly but it comes with very good fitting instructions. it cost £400.00 a couple of years ago.
I recently fitted a chip to my D5 volvo wow!!!
This chip was from Diesel tunig in Hull & 1/2 the price of a Bromleys chip. these guys manufacture the chips & really know their stuff. I may buy their lead to fit the cruiser & try their chip on it.
http://dieseltuning.uk.com/
The K&N filter does not affect insurance, but I'm probably like many others & not told insurance about the chip. Should anything happen it would be a matter of unclipping the chip & removing it
daveh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention LWB auto box
nick j

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just returned from a 2,800 mile trip to Spain with a family of 5 a roofbox and towing a 1750kg 6 x berth caravan. Averaged 22 mpg which was fine by me, though I am interested in the bio-fuel........
daveh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick
20mpg towing is very good fully loaded. My previous 300tdi disc was only doing 18mpg towing, same as the colarado, again with a T/Axle & accompanying kids, dog, wife & full compliment of awnings, BBQ etc so it was always at or near the 1700- 1800kg mark.
http://www.bio-power.co.uk/  - best site for bio fuel. Gary in Manchester is the man I get the fuel from. Very clean stuff,  his tel no is on the contacts page.The L/C runs sweeter & smoother, definately more power, oil is cleaner when dropped. Bought the L/C with 70k on the clock & the guy who owned it ran it from 25k as he ran his fleet of 10 wagons on the stuff.
I saw no point in diselieving the product. Still a lot of scheptics out there but i'm a fan of bio and it's cheaper.
nick j

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daveh,
Thanks for the info, I'm still a bit sceptical about pouring it in but I will definately visit the guy in Buxton........
parkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever managed a maximum of 400 miles out of my VX Auto, and that's with a light right foot.  So I don't think anything is wrong with your fuel economy.

One related note, does anyone know how many more miles you can do once the fuel warning light comes on permanently.  I know it's not advisable to run on a low fuel level but I just wondered for piece of mind.  The owners manual does not say.
daveh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUNDREDS!!! as testified by my wife !! ..... as she never fills it it is always running on reserve Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
dame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

went up to the lakes a couple of weeks ago with the cruiser. first time i've towed our caravan with it since i got it in august. the van and car was packed to the rafters with bikes, gear, wife and kids etc. used to get around 23mpg when towing the same van with an old 200tdi disco.
filled it up in keswick to see how it had done and only got 16mpg so a bit disappointed.
however, after filling it up again when we got back it did 22mpg so a lot happier. off on hols again in a couple of weeks so going to get oil and filters changed as they haven't been done for 4 or 5 thousand miles.
would this make much difference?

dame
daveh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:50    Post subject: fuel economy Reply with quote

I'd be well happy at 22mpg towing.
Don't forget it's all downhill from the lakes to Barnsley!!!! Laughing  Laughing
don,t be suprised if new filters don't change mpg.
goodluck
Goodrich A/T's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: