Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

my amazon 4.2 stops running / cuts out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert norford

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

collected the landcruiser from Vulcan motors on Friday 18th   the LC had been with them for the best part of 6 weeks and never missed a beat. I would recomend Vulcan Motors to anyone who is worried about being ripped off by a garage as they charged me for 1 hour's work only. they were very appologetic that they could not find a fault. they could have told me anything as i would have to beleive them.  they have been using the LC for a run about to collect parts, they said they would miss her now that i have collected her. not too sure what to do next but use it and hope for teh best. Question
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 21:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

robert norford

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad  The landcruiser stopped running yesterday 2 times. she just cut out, started again drove 5 yards and cut out again. she started again and I drove her home . She has done 150 miles since i picked her up. still none of the wiser. completley stuffed as the garage need her to stop running so they can check her out.  anyone have any more idea's as I am completley at a loss.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize if this has already been checked, but you seem to have reached a bit of a dead end.

Going back to basics, a running diesel engine will keep on running until the fuel stops. There's no electrics required to keep it going - unlike a petrol engine. Of course, both need air but the symptoms of a restriction in the air supply are rather different from those you describe. So it looks like fuel.

What potential problems could there be with the fuel? :-

1. a blocked fuel line - more likely to be permanent that intermittent
2. water in the fuel - check the drain on the fuel filter
3. a blocked filter - probably wouldn't run at all but worth replacing (good practice)
4. cracked fuel feed pipe allowing air into fuel - more likely to drip fuel
5. poor quality fuel - more likely to cause poor running and smoke

I can't think of anything else apart from the cur out solenoid and its supply but I guess you have already checked that about 10 times.

Willy
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wandering Willy wrote:
I apologize if this has already been checked, but you seem to have reached a bit of a dead end.

Going back to basics, a running diesel engine will keep on running until the fuel stops. There's no electrics required to keep it going - unlike a petrol engine.

Not these ones Willy. They have throttle position sensors and a computer telling the pump what to do.
If the computer senses something wrong it will shut everything down inc the pump.
The RAC reported it is the biggest cause of breakdowns in the outback costing an average of $7000 per recovery as the problem can rarely be rectified in the field.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a mechanics nightmare, check all plugs and connectors to the pump and the ECU, carefully unclip them and look inside both parts, make sure there is no corrosion and that all the little pins are even, one may be pushed back into the plug causing an intermitant fault, check the femail side as well, both the pump and the ECU contain PCB's , you may have whats called a "dry joint", basicaly a solderd join that looks good but sometimes can move apart and cease to make contact. Has anyone put the car on a code reader ? if not its worth ago . When the engine stops is it a sudden stop ? like you turned the key off ? or is it more of a loss of power leading to the engine stopping ? It seems to be a loss of power to the ECU or the pump,  as most systems will go into a limp home mode if its a sensor that fails. Don't forget to check all the earthing points for sensors , engine to chassis, battery etc, these are just as important as the live side.
robert norford

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad  many thanks for the replies, I will print them off and take them with the manual to Vulcan next week. The landcruiser stops as if you have turned the ignition off whilst driving, it dosn't cough, splutter .just cuts out instantly, the rev counter drops off and then about .5 second later all the ignition lights come on. we are due to be driving the LC to the south of france in the near future but i am worries stiff, as when she keeps stopping as you lose the steering. thanks again for the replies that have been left.  Robert
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on the 100s but if it has a main ignition on relay I would try swapping that, if the little coil inside that latches the relay is breaking down it will release the main contacts, result is just like turning the key off, a long shot but worth mentioning, it sounds like something is powering down and then back on, hence engine stopping and then ignition lights coming on.
robert norford

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad The Landcruiser went back to Vulcan motors 2 weeks ago along with alot of printed pages from this site and the manual. still no news yet, all I can do is wait and see what hapens. Vulcan have said that if the LC cuts out and wont start they can then trace the fault. I ve had the LC for 8 months now, 4 month of that the LC has been off the road.
moglite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Vauxhall Omega with the 2.5 BMW diesel engine in it.
After 300,000 miles it was a bit worse for wear....

Occasionally it would stall when hot. For example dipping the clutch to change down for a roundabout on a dual carriageway. This was interesting to say the least with power steering and brakes  Shocked

Sometimes it would stall and not restart. The fix was to pour 5 litres of cold water over the diesel injector pump. This would cool the pump, and the engine would start straight away.

Maybe you need to get your cruiser hot to find the problem ?

Hope it helps
Andy
robert norford

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised  I had a call from Vulcan saying that the LC had broken down for them, they then rang me again to tell me that it had stopped a second and third time but with their computers attached, the fault that was comming up when the LC stopped showed that the immobiliser was playing up, the have ordered a replacement part that fits in the steering collom and picks up the code from the key. fingers crossed I hope that cures the problem.
DaveN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope they have it nailed. That's the problem with all this stuff. I took mine out on the 80 series, as I figured it would let me down at some point.

Ha, I like the way the government and the filth pat themselves on the back for reducing car crime, when in fact it's all down to better security on the cars.
moglite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model and year of LandCruiser have you got ?

Do you have any idea of what the diagnostic kit the garage were using. I've got the Rovacom setup for our Range Rover, but I don't know if there is anything available/affordable for Toyotas

Andy
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheaper than a new inj pump Cool
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
robert norford

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad collected LC on 28/2, she drove fine for 80 miles then cut out. started again straight away but cut out 2 min's later and would not start. left her for an hour and she started fine. will need to re book her into the garage. The test kit that the garage use is a Bosh - Lucas set up. had the LC 8 months and only used her for 4 months. and I thought Toyota Landcruisers were bomb proof would continue to run no matter what! oh how wrong I was.
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

it still seems to me that the solenoid on the injection pump is overheating and causing the intermittant cut out
it is a *beep* aint it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: