Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

transfer gearbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 19:31    Post subject: transfer gearbox Reply with quote

I think i may have a problem with my transfer box,when in H im getting a thump which you can feel through the car when im of and on the gas pedal at speeds over 20-30mph ,but if i select HL the thump goes ,
ive had all u,js check on props and new gearbox mount and on back axle full set of ploy bushes so i know its not theses , the car is a landcruiser colorado lwb 3.0 td vx 97 auto 128000 miles fsh,any ideas.
ps when in HL can you steer around tight corners because mine will not is this normal.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 19:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the sliding joint on the propshaft, they can have a problem if over greased.

The problem with the steering going tight in HL is that you are locking the centre diff, so all wheels are trying to go at the same speed, this setting should only be used off road on slippery surfaces.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
patrick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:07    Post subject: Transfer gearbox Reply with quote

I think sliding joint was looked at with u,js ,in my manual its saying shifting between H and HL can be done at any speed and HL can be used for normal driving on wet , icy, or snow-covered roads,in this mode HL the differential must allow for cornering.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:02    Post subject: Thumping Reply with quote

Patrick, the center diff, when locked, will allow for moderate cornering and can be engaged on the move. It's very good on the motorway if there's a lot of standing water for example and you are concerned about aquaplaning. But tight turns are not a good idea. If you keep reasonably straight, or if you are on snow / gravel the C/D when locked will compensate easily. I found that in high side winds it made the vehicle slightly more stable too.

Is the thump a 'thump thump thump' related to the speed or just an occasional thump? I have to say it sounds more prop /uj related. Can't think off hand of anything in the transfer case that would relate to this problem. Is the exhaust clear of everything?

LC
andy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:03    Post subject: Re: Transfer gearbox Reply with quote

patrick wrote:
I think sliding joint was looked at with u,js ,in my manual its saying shifting between H and HL can be done at any speed and HL can be used for normal driving on wet , icy, or snow-covered roads,in this mode HL the differential must allow for cornering.

Was thinking that it was the same as my Surf, that has H2 H4 and H4L (locked) which should only be used offroad.
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
patrick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:52    Post subject: Transfer gearbox Reply with quote

Hi landcrusher thanks i now understand HL on transfer, the thump is only when you get back on gas pedal as the drive is taken up at speeds over 20-30mph and at higher speeds say motorways the thump is a lot bigger through car but if HL is selected no thump at any speed no matter how hard you stamp on gas pedal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: