4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

rear coil springs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 21:49    Post subject: rear coil springs Reply with quote

Has anyone replaced rear coil springs on a 90,it looks like if I removed the bottom shocker bolt and jacked up the body the spring may come out ! or is the more to it .I need to replace the front aswell these dont look to much a problem,I am handy and will attemt anything once I know what to do. thanks.
   Lenny
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 21:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

24Seven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear springs will come out as you say, fronts are struts, you will need spring compressors to replace the springs in those.
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks do I need a coil spring compresor for the rears
24Seven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

lennytoyota wrote:
Thanks do I need a coil spring compresor for the rears

No, not if you do as you posted, the rear will drop enough to allow the springs to be removed by hand.
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help
Lenny
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 22:26    Post subject: tips for springs Reply with quote

I have just done both front and back. Yes, the rear ones are dead easy as long as everything that you need to undo - comes undone. Wire brush any thread and treat with WD 40 etc. The front ones are a different story. You will need spring compressors as mentioned, but if you are going for an uprated spring, make sure that you have 3 compressors and that you understand that they only go on one way around - also make sure that you eat two cans of spinach before you start!

Two tips.

1. Undoing the anti roll bar link on the front will allow the lower wishbone to drop so that you extract the strut. Without this it is really tight, especially when getting them back in. Buy 2 new ones (£12 each) as by far the easiest way to get them off if they're old is to bodge them off. (Grrrr, bang, bash, saw, grind). There is an allen key hole in the end of the lower bolt to allow you to hold it whilst you undo the nut.

2. When reassembling the strut, you MUST have the top mount bolts in correct alignment with the bottom bolt. Once you let the tension off the compressors you cannot twist the orientation of the damper and the mountings. Trust me on that one. The professionals use a hydraulic press to fit springs (£140 to buy, I saw one today) it may be possible to hire one from Travis or somewhere like that for the cost of buying springs. Threaded compressors tend to rip the coating off the springs. Only matters if you are fussy I guess.

If you are thinking about changing front dampers, DO IT NOW as going through this again is not something that you'll want to face.

Milner's uprated springs actually lifted my suspension by about 1" to 1.5". I only did the rear at first, but it looked ridiculous.

Have fun

LC
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up already done the rear shocks fitted  pro comp have got front and rear springs  from milners standard plus 20% they called them,and allso got front shocks.
How does your landcruiser drive and look since you done the springs, I dont want mine to be to hard and bouncy. I feel that mine leans to much on the front when taking roudabouts, my back end is allso sagging due to towing big caravan and the front shocks have gone,I hope all this work pays off,I feel I am just carrying on were toyota left off.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 22:51    Post subject: Up in the air Reply with quote

Well I fitted a body lift kit too and to be honest it's a bit like driving a skyscraper. With 75 series MTs on as well, I need oxygen when I get in. In the wet it feels more like a Hilux than a Landcruiser. A bit slidey on country corners. I intend to fit some spacers to widen the track a little.

On road, it's sooo much better as it's not dragging its ass on the bump stops all of the time. Off road, it's like driving on a carpet of angel's tears. Very good indeed.

If all you do is the springs, I think that you'll be better off and no probs. They'll probably settle a little too over time. Are you near to Milners or did you mail order. I live in Derbyshire about 15 mins from Milner.

LC
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your post very witty,I am in liverpool so I have to get everything mail order,always try to use milners very reasonable price and very good delivery service.
Lenny
lennytoyota

Love your post very witty,I am in liverpool so I have to get everything mail order,always try to use milners very reasonable price and very good delivery service.
Lenny
lennytoyota

Lenny
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 23:08    Post subject: Dizzy heights Reply with quote

This is how she sits now. I needed to fit the 20% springs really due to the tonne of metal hanging off the front end (Warn XD9000)

24Seven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come down Poole Landcrusher and body lift mine, I will buy you a pint Wink
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img][list=]conwy 07 242[/list]
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carnt post a picture but mine would drive under yours honest
Lenny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: