NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Newbie here.. Just bought a monster landcruiser...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
honeymommy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:21    Post subject: Newbie here.. Just bought a monster landcruiser... Reply with quote

Hello to all.

I have just purchased a 1993 80 series landcruiser. It's an import, and I think it came from Australia due to the humungous bull bar on the front. Found a tiny aussie label underneath it.... It takes up the whole of the front (origional bumper removed), quite a site... LOL

I was looking for a shogun origionally as the landcruisers seemed out of my price range, but I got a great deal on this car as the guy was trying to sell it as UK made by lying to me and selling it cheap... Silly boy...

It drives like a dream, and is immaculate for it's age.

I am a little confused about the sub fuel tank and how it works. Everything seems in place, just not sure about filling and monitoring levels. Haven't had a car with one of these before.

Had great fun lowering the spare from under the car yesterday. I do need a new 15" alloy for a spare as the one on there is a massive off roader tyre with a nasty looking rim.

The whole family have suddenly turned into car enthusiasts. This is definately going to be a fun ride for all.

If anyone has any helpful advise or info for spares etc. I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks a lot... Happy driving. Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spares can be got from your local Toyota dealer, www.milneroffroad.com or a number of other places. There isn't really much different on the imports, you'll probably have the earlier 12 Valve engine (1HD-T) which was also fitted on the UK ones up to 1995. Running gear is identical except the UK ones had front and rear diff locks which most of the imports don't seem to have. The only difficult parts you may find to get hold of will be interior bits like seats, trim panels and the clinometer which wasn't fitted to UK ones.

You bought the Best 4x4 ever built, better than the 100 IMHO and certainly streets ahead of a Shogun.
honeymommy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 18:16    Post subject: Thanks for the info. Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the link, and the confirmation I have bought a great car.. LOL....
I am really looking forward to getting this car just as I want it, being a fussy woman driver ya know... Surprised)

Just spent 7 years in the US where I drove a surburban. Great car.

The interior of this landcruiser is absolutely perfect as far as I am concerned. The only thing missing was a piece of trim from the carpet attachment on the drop down boot.. easily replaced. Oh and I may replace the center console as it's a bit small, plus I miss the decent size cup holders... LOL

Now we just have to work out how the sub fuel tank works... Hahahahah.

Hubby and brother-in-law are on the engine side. I am the exterior/interior designer... Plus I want it reliable enginewise but have no clue about engines.... Hahahah... Now's the time to learn, if they let me get a look in. Surprised)

Thanks again.... Oh nice website by the way....
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enginewise, you shouldn't have too many worries, the 1H engines are built out of solid stuff and go round the clock many times as long as they have the oil and filter changed regularly - 200K - 300K is not unusual without major work , often more than that. It's no coincidence that in the parts of the world where reliability really matters - the deserts of Australia and Africa, the Landcruiser is King.
Aussieboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sub fuel tank should have dual pipes within the main fuel cap. You fill up both tanks via this point. On the dash should be a switch for the sub tank, now this can have two ways of working, 1) it will transfer fuel from the sub tank to the main tank or 2) it will draw from the sub tank. As I am from Australia I have been in vehicles that use these systems, But the second option is the most common.
Hope this helps you out.
honeymommy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:36    Post subject: sub fuel tank. Reply with quote

Thanks for the info... I think it draws it from the sub to the main as you described.
I tried to fill both tanks yesterday. Pulled out the knob next to the fuel inlet and held it pulled out to try and fill the sub tank, then let go of the knob, pushing it BACK IN, to try to fill the main tank... It seems only the main tank got the petrol and nothing to the sub tank.... The sub tank fuel gauge showed empty still....

Any ideas??? What am I doing wrong?

Just bought the manual, but there is no reference to the operating of the sub, just a mention it is an option.

Really appreciate any help....

Thanks.
Aussieboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 22:48    Post subject: sub tank Reply with quote

Keep the knob out to fill the sub. These are a pain in the ass as they get air locks in them as you fill it up. Try and be patient with it and see what happens.
The later models don't have the knob and that makes it a lot easier.
See how you go with that.
Best of luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: