NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Caravan Towing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tecowner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 18:53    Post subject: Caravan Towing Reply with quote

:?:

Dear All

Seeking advice please on purchasing a reliable towing vehicle.

I currently tow a fairly heavy 19 foot caravan weighing in at 1220KG but probably nearer 1400KG when provisioned  but it is at the limit for my old Audi 2.5 TD at 155bhp and could do with a better lugger.

I have been reading very positive reviews of the Colarado which seem solid, though they tell you to watch rad/oil pump problems in vehicles over 7 years old. I am thinking of spending up to c£7K for a sub 120k vehicle but want to avoid any big bills.

I normally look to renew pulleys/belts and water pump on purchase for c £500, which would leave c£6.5K for the vehicle. Any advice on big items to watch out for? ..and what age/spec of vehicle/good places to seek?

Grateful for any advice from those with experience.

Best Wishes

Craig ( tec owner )
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 18:53    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 22:41    Post subject: caravan towing Reply with quote

i bit the bullet myself and got shut of a rotten old 200series disco to tow our van, which probably comes in at a similar weight to what you mention.
looked round at a few td5 disco's but then google'd the landcruiser, found this site and my mind was pretty much made up.
there's just no comparison between my old disco, which was a 93, and my 96 lwb colorado.
its in a different league altogether with regards brakes, torque, quality, well just everything really.
i'm looking at 23-26mpg on diesel regardless of whether or not i am towing. got the car with 108k, gx auto, with full toyota stamps in the service book.
looking at changing springs and shocks this summer as the back end bottoms out now and again,which seems to be well documented. otherwise absolutely can't fault it.
a lot of mates with disco's, shoguns etc. mention fuel consumption. i spent a fortune every mot time just to keep the disco on the road so as far as i am concerned fuel consumption is offset by reduced maintenance costs.
good luck
 dame
marlot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at several Colorados before deciding to go for a 120-series.  There are some good vehicles out there, but a load of poorly-maintained, end-of-life examples too.

Be suspicious of any on e bay which have new radiators - just in case they've had coolant in the autobox.  But apart from that, they seem to be a good choice.  I suggest Automatic would be a good move.

You could also consider a 3rd generation Hilux surf - essentially the same mechanics but in a prettier body.  Even the towbars are the same!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General non-technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: